Penhen that picks her neck bald :( ideas?

SimoneG

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
North Dakota
Hi guys, I've got a 2yr old peahen that won't stop picking all her feathers off her lower neck. Shes been dewormed (all in one & ivermectin 10 days later) dusted for mites, blue koted (she seems to like the taste) and currently trying vetrcyin spray. Shes been doing this all summer but now that its cold and finally had a scab over the worst spot she picked/scratched it off over the weekend. I put some more spray on it and have a cut up sock trying to cover it. its at the base of her neck though so its not staying very well. I ordered some hen healer cream online and that should be here today but I'm at a loss for why she does this? & how to keep her from doing it? She is with her mate and a few others no changes in flockmates. She doesn't pick anyone elses feathers and I haven't seen anyone else picking on her. She is the only one with a bloody beak & feet. I did try to seperate her earlier this year but it seemed to stress her more lots of honking and more feather picking. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Have you considered using an elizabethan collar on her? Lots of parrot type birds become feather pickers, and that stops them. No guarantee she won't start it up again once it's healed, but it may help break the habit.
I just googled it I didn't know they made these for birds.... Do you think it would disrupt her flying at all? any idea on size diameter? (this is what I found) 10" seems huge but 6" I'd think she could still get her head around a 6" to peck?

The Saf-T Shield Bird E-Collar keeps your birds beak from its feathers or injuries.
This bird collar features an adjustable snap closure.
The Saf-T Shield Bird E-collar is made from clear, lightweight clear plastic.
*Neck sizes below use seamstress soft tape to measure neck for better accuracy*
Item Neck Diameter
SS404X 1.25" - 2" 4"
SS406XS 2" - 2.75" 6"
SS406X 2.75" - 3.5" 6"
SS408XS 3.25" - 3.5" 8"
SS408X 3.5" - 4" 8"
SS410XS 3.5" - 4" 10"
SS410X 4.75" - 5.5" 10"
SS412XS 4.75" - 5.5" 12"
SS412X 6.25" - 7.5" 12"

I wish I could answer you questions re: sizes and flying, but I am not that familiar with peafowl. (other than admiring from afar) You probably should measure her neck, you want one that won't slide around. If she can get her head past it, you might be able to tape an extension, made of any bendable plastic, on to the e-collar. If you have access to old x-rays, or know someone that does, they can be cut to make custom e-collars, and work well. I think it could be difficult for her to fly with it on, if she roosts in trees, branches could get caught. The birds I am familiar with using them on, live in cages and climb, rather than fly much. Keep us posted if you try it. Good luck.

Ivermectin Pour-On at 0.4ml on the skin. Divide between the shoulders and above the vent and save a tiny drop for behind the crest for face lice. Repeat in ten days. It does burn the skin a little so don't overdo it. This area is on the side of the breast under the wing, you can see a little scabbing coming off from the chemical burn so I don't recommend that area. Best to apply it to the thicker skin of the back.
IMG_3044.JPG

Last edited:
How often can they be dewormed? The all in one has a dewormer in it, and twice now with the ivermectin paste (a pea sized amount) in the last 2 months. I don't want to over medicate (not sure if that happens with peas but horses I know only so much or it's toxic) I got some pictures tonight. She managed to get the sock almost all the way off. One more question.... If it's mites wouldn't they all be picking? The other 7 birds are good.

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_190057209.jpg
    IMG_20181226_190057209.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20181226_190104695.jpg
    IMG_20181226_190104695.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20181226_190712204.jpg
    IMG_20181226_190712204.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom