Penis prolapse???

Feb 8, 2019
Hello,
My 4month old male duck, Kermit, isn’t feeling too great. Every time he tried to poo only water comes out and his penis fully comes out as well. He can retract it back in afterwards but it’s obviously painful for him and he isn’t eating, just drinking excessively. The tip of his penis has turned black?!?!? Is there any way I can make him eat, he won’t even eat meal worms which are his favourite. I have added nutridrops into his water but it isn’t helping much. I can’t get him to a vet till tomorrow evening.
Thanks x

Hello,
My 4month old male duck, Kermit, isn’t feeling too great. Every time he tried to poo only water comes out and his penis fully comes out as well. He can retract it back in afterwards but it’s obviously painful for him and he isn’t eating, just drinking excessively. The tip of his penis has turned black?!?!? Is there any way I can make him eat, he won’t even eat meal worms which are his favourite. I have added nutridrops into his water but it isn’t helping much. I can’t get him to a vet till tomorrow evening.
Thanks x
Welcome to BYC! If the tip has turned black there is a chance this could kill him. Is there any way you can get him to a vet sooner than tomorrow? If not, can you post pictures of it? The fact he isn't eating could mean the infection in the penis has spread to be body (sepsis), and this condition is life threatening.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! If the tip has turned black there is a chance this could kill him. Is there any way you can get him to a vet sooner than tomorrow? If not, can you post pictures of it? The fact he isn't eating could mean the infection in the penis has spread to be body (sepsis), this condition is life threatening.
8FB28A2A-66CD-4B3C-9D86-1C0627243DA0.jpeg

The vet are a couple of hours away from where I live. I have managed to get the appointment moved forwards to tomorrow morning but can’t go any sooner. Is there anything that he may eat? He only ate one or two mealworms.

He’s doing great now. The vet gave us some meds and the part of the penis that had tuned gangrenous just fell off, leaving the healthy tissue. This does mean he cannot mate but he was never wanted for breeding.
That's great news, thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom