Pennsylvania. Right to farm act. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter if its zoned residential. I live in a large city. I own 6 chickens, 6 quail, and soon a few ducks and geese. All very legal in our "residential" neighborhood. I'm thinking there are no rules about chickens in your small town. If they haven't got it to you in writing yet, it's probably not there. If you can have a horse you most probably can have some chickens!!! In our city we have to get a permit by having 75% of neighbors within 150 feet of the property sign it. No problem here. My neighbors can't believe I have chickens. They have come to see for themselves. They're suprised. No noise, no smell. Good luck with your chicken venture!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
This is humorous, I live in R-1 Under 10k SQ feet and am allowed 5 hens heck New York and Chicago allows chickens. On a side note the laws the law no matter how long you've lived somewhere it's the law. IMHP if I own the property and it's legal then so be it piss off, ON a side note this is reciprocal if it's legal and my neighbors do it (if I like it or not) then there's nothing I can say.

ON a SIDE note....Things I would ban.................

Pollinating Trees (I'm allergic)
More than 3 Kids
Teenagers with no supervision
Dogs
Outside Cats
Gas Guzzling Cars
Outside sound systems
Outside lights
ALL Dogs
Smoking outside your house (again R-1 small lots 4k-10k)

All of these things are legal so I have no complaint.... BUT if they were ILLEGAL MUAHAHAHAHA I would get em

The point of this rant is neighbors should MIND THEIR OWN business as long as things are done in a legal sanitary way.

POST NOTE: I see no harm to your neighbors; this decision equates to getting a large dog, most people neither ask or care what there neighbors think when they do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in town and we had chickens that were hatched for our children by their grandfather before he had passed away. We had built the coop at the end of our yard by the creek. I had the cop at my home and he told us that we had ten days to get rid of them or we were going to be fined for everyday they stayed. They did not care if they we pets for our kids.
So my whole thought is if they told one that they can't keep their pet chickens they should keep it that way.

But I asked the ordinance officer before building the coop. He said their was no ordinance. So we proceeded. We have received nothing about an ordinance, even though I asked for it.
I do not know what to tell you, other than try again, I guess.

My birds are healthy and calm, They are not making a whole lot of noise, (the wild birds around make more noise than they do) and I am keeping the coop and run clean, so they do not smell.

We will not be raising birds for consumption. they are pets and we will be collecting the eggs for OUR use. Not to sell.

If you start looking into this forum and the Ordinances in different places. A lot of Major cities allow Chickens and other foul for pets.

I feel it's Nature at it's best.

A Quote from my Father.
"Everyone is allowed their own Opinions, May be the Wrong Opinion, But their own Opinion."

BTW: Sorry to all that I have not been on line, Graduation, Company, and Coop construction, has kept me busy ...lol

Quote:

FYI:
Definition of biddy
(bid·dy)

#1) A hen; a fowl.
#2) A woman, especially a garrulous old one.

So where was the Bashing?

I may be known, But as how I'm known? I do not know.
I have not really talked to anyone here as they like to keep to themselves.
So I'll assume (which I hate to do, as it makes an ASS out of U and ME) that they have assumed what they our saying about our family.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania being part of the US (correct me if I'm wrong) it is about the law not what other people think. If a cop came to your door and said your house can't be blue and you will be fined, that doesn't make it the law. The police enforce laws made by elected officials in local, regional, and national legislators. Police are often doing what they think is right, but you are entitled to know the law and have it presented to you in a written fashion. Municipal codes should be posted for public view at city hall or online, chickens should be covered under Animals and or Zoning rules. The amount of the fine also has to be laid out in the code.

US "Land of the free and home of the brave" not "Land of the do what the person that's been here longest tells you to and home of the do what your told even if it's incorrect".

Sorry this whole thing struck a nerve especially the go back to Canada part, I can't believe I fought for a country that has people like this in it. I believe in the rule of law and tend to trust the system, but telling you to do something with no law backing it seems wrong.

PS. That's it sorry, but if you have it in you fight. Don't stop till you have a ordinance, try to get the fact that he misrepresented the law in writing (if he did IE. if there was a law and he said not) and have the city reimburse your coop. Get the law in writing, even if they pass a new law banning chickens you should be grandfathered unless they explicitly say not (theirs a lawsuit if they do that). You have the right to know what codes are applicable to your property, and no laws says 3 maybe 4 it is spelled out as a whole number.

Keep us informed

Sorry this whole thing struck a nerve especially the go back to Canada part, I can't believe I fought for a country that has people like this in it. I believe in the rule of law and tend to trust the system, but telling you to do something with no law backing it seems wrong.

FYI:
My Daughter, A Canadian Citizen! Has joined the US army reserves here. She will be going to Basic training on July 7th and Immediately following to her MO training. She will be gone for 7 months. She is also thinking seriously of joining full time.​

Last edited:
It looks like you still don't have a copy of the ordinance or anything in writing from anyone so I am guessing that there isn't one. You can file a Freedom of Information Act request to make them produce a copy of any ordinances pertaining to the keeping of chickens or domestic fowl in their jurisdiction and see what happens.

If there isn't anything, you are home free. If there is, it will depend on how clearly it is worded and if it is trumped by any state right to farm laws that would apply to you by their terms.

I am a lawyer and former planning commissioner at both the township and county levels. Let me know if you need any more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom