Pennsylvania. Right to farm act. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the information. Its Greatly appreciated.

I Was talking to someone in the next township over He is breading Chickens. (Rabbits, and Quail)
Their is no ordinance in that township. He was telling me though that a woman in town is wanting an ordinance against DUCKS. I find this humorous, as ducks are wild animals that Migrate. People have no control if one was to land in their town or yard for a "pit stop." lol

My parents had an issue with Geese on the golf course in the community they live. It was Quite entertaining to watch the golfers deal with then while playing Golf, They where chased and badgered constantly (the golfers)... lol

Quote:
Let me guess, you signed up to be part of Backyard Chickens because you have a personal issue with the OP?

1) I don't care how long the old biddy next door has been in that town, it does NOT give her the right to harrass and insult the Original Poster.

2) If the codes said before she got her chickens, that she could have some, then guess what? It doesn't matter what zone she is in, it IS legal.

3) Do not come on here and start harrassing the OP, calling her husband crazy (not spelt crasy, by the way), and insulting her. It is uncalled for and inappropriate.

We are with you Holly! And ignore those jerks who are giving you a hard time, you have already been told it was legal before getting the chickens and it doesn't matter what the old biddy thinks.
hugs.gif

Wow. Maybe the Moderator should be looking at this post. It is getting awfully personal.

I took at look at Cumbola, PA on Google Earth and it seems like a very small town in a pretty rural area. It also appears to feature a huge junk car lot outside of town.

I don't know exactly where Holly O lives but it doesn't seem like an area where chickens would be clearly out of place. (which is not a dig at the area in any way).

I would agree that the coop should be located as far as possible from neighboring homes, particularly if there are roosters. It's a good idea to talk to the neighbors first and give them a heads up, and maybe bring them some eggs. Holly might want to have a yard party featuring eggs and fried chicken and invite ALL the neighbors.

I have tried to ease my neighbors into the whole animal husbandry thing by first putting a goat run along the fence and letting them see the cute goats (one of which just had babies). I had one neighbor I actually had to call the cops on when we were putting up our fence and had to cut a limb off a tree that was on the property line in order to get the fence past it, which I am allowed to do. He now lays in his hammock right next to the fence and watches the goats as do his kids (human kids, that is).

I have also made it a point to welcome all of the neighbors personally when they moved in and talk to them over the fence whenever I am out in the back of the garden. I will be getting all of them complimentary eggs as soon as I have some.

The roosters haven't started crowing yet but when they do I am going to get them out of here and/or build a sound resistent coop for them if I decide to keep any.

This thread is an excellent example of the emotions that can get involved in these things. Keeping good relations with your neighbors is key. It's never too late to mend those fences.

3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.
5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.

7. No Fighting. Taking a personal conflict to the forum is unacceptable. "I'm right, you're wrong" threads and posts will be edited or deleted.

I think some of us need to remember the rules.

So, that was interesting. The flamer has been barred, it would appear.

I do have a suggestion though. Putting your chickens under your deck might not be the best idea for a variety of reasons, one of which would be your own future enjoyment of the deck.

If you are close to your neighbors, put the coop as far away from their homes and areas of yard that they use as possible, if you are legal. Make it as pretty as possible too.

Chickens shouldn't become a weapon in the War of the Roses.

Thank you EVERYONE!

This is a nice little town. Only one person with a problem it seams.
My husband Says people are asking him about the chickens and are finding humor In the whole situation.
The postmaster asks him daily about them.
I still have not received paperwork on the legal aspect of it all.
I'm still working on the coop and have had many compliments on it and the esthetics. By the other neighbors.
I have just a few birds and no problems with keeping it clean and fresh smelling.
The kids are in their GLORY with them, and I find them playing with the birds Daily.

The strange thing with the neighbor that complained is she was all for having the birds when I first brought the subject up to her. Even asked If I could get a rooster as they are so pretty.

It seems for me, that just knowing some of my rights is all it took. I still have not received the ordinance about chickens that I requested. At the same time I have had nothing else. No complaints, letters, ANYTHING!

So I'm still going about my business, and until they can give me the ordinances clearly outlining the Chicken bylaws. I have some of the sweetest pet ever, that my children and I are enjoying.

I have a feeling nothing else will come of this whole thing.

I thank you all for your support!

Hello again. I've been following these posts with much amusement. How come Wingerdinger was edited out after posting, yet Holly can continue to call the neighbor "an old biddy". I don't care what type of definition you put on it, it is still an insulting thing to say. What if somebody posted that she's a "crazy Canuck". I've live Earth mapped this town and if you live on the edge you would be Ok with a coop, but it's too small to have one in town. I'm sure there are other people in town watching this (they may not want to rock the boat). I'm all for doing what MAY be legal, but putting the coop right under your deck with the neighbors within feet of them is NOT the right thing to do. If you had some yard space, why didn't you place it AWAY from the homes. That's what a considerate neighbor would do. Neighbor - meaning you try to consider how you may impact the people around you. I can't wait for the people that feel that everyone should be raising fowl start throwing their two cents in. Just my opinion !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom