Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    get him wingstone, you know, i just love this site, some of the others are so serious and to be honest, a couple are snobs

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Welcome from Centre!

3. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Everyone have fun at the Farm Show. Take pictures so us who live to far away will feel like we were there.:)

4. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Hey Wing, That is right by us. We are about 20 minutes from Penn State. Lets plan to meet up!

We were planning on going to the FS today, but I woke up yet again with a headache. This is really getting old...

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] ^^^^^ Love these!!^^^^^ will have to save them to my 'puter for future use!

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Now you know why I'm going to the Farm Show.

7. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

x2

8. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Welcome to the madness!!

9. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I was just outside feeding and counting. I am amazed at how small my flock is at the moment:

8 calico/partridge silkies
    7 blue and black bantam orpingtons
    1 LF BR
    1 JG

that is it outside!!

Now, inside is a different story!!

2 juvi white silkie pullets in the basement
    3 little bantam white langshans in the laundry room (1 extra roo is for sale)

In my bedroom:

6 calico/partridge silkie babies
    5 bantam langshan babies (1 for sale and one belongs to RoPo)
    1 Special baby that belongs to RoPo
    20 LF cochin chicks

and I have 25 eggs in the bator!!

This is going to be a BUSY place come spring! I plan on growing out most (if not all) of the babies I have. The eggs in the bator I am only keeping the pullets (with the exception of the silkies). So hubby has A LOT of building to do!!!! The only thing I will be breeding and selling at this point is the bantam orps, which are just beautiful birds!!

Are you all gearing up for spring? I would love to hear your plans?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  10. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have both breeds. They're both dual purpose breeds and get large enough to eat. Mine forage pretty well, and stick together as a group. They're relatively calm and will move as a group when my dogs herd them. I don't make friends with mine, but they seem like they'd warm up to attention.

Pekins are traditional meat ducks, and there are different strains bred for fast growth. The meat strains eat a lot when they're growing muscle. My 2 Pekins are left from a batch of meat ducks I raised last spring. They've slowed down on how much they eat, or they'd be much chillier. I've only had the blue Swedish for a year, and they only started laying late last fall, so I can't tell you about broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by