Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

They are awesome.... your paintings!!! what made you start painting? and if she has a lake she needs swans!!
look at these will ya...

113786328055764521_o0GOZ2yf_b.jpg

Omg! do u own these? .....just started painting as something to do LOL!

Are you near Montgomery County? One of their clubs is called 'Silver Pails' and these goats are strictly pets, mostly Pygmy. At the fair, they had 3 seperate tents set up for the different goat clubs, must be a LOT more goats than I knew in Montgomery County. I really should be doing a bit more searching into the info so that we can show our goats.

Heather I am SO jealous, my Orpingtons have not given me an egg since Last SUMMER!! I keep waiting, thinking, anyday now…. Perhaps they need a better nesting area.

Ever since I have been giving the Max-E-Glo, they have been laying like fools. If you want more info on it, and why I feed it, let me know.

I just went onto a huge rant on the Ameraucana thread, here it is:

This is a very sensitive subject. I have several breeds of chickens. I understand everything you are saying about the culls etc. Imagine if someone took all the culls from your breed and marketed them as a quality birds, and then a whole lot of people lied, were misled, etc. about the "quality". Not cool. What would make it even more interesting, is what if they breed those culls together, and marketed those birds as quality birds too.

I have experimented with my breeds, listed in my signature. Almost everything about an Ameraucana is dominate over other breed characteristics. So a lot of chickens can be bred to "look" like Ameraucana, but they will not breed true 50% of the time.

The reason I believe the club has this statement is because the integrity of the the breed is in jeopardy. Quality can become poor, from the SOP stand point. Most people don't care where there chickens "come" from. Whether it is location, or genetically. Especially if you are talking about people who order from a hatchery in the first place. Most of them have listed that they are not show quality birds.

I would not expect any else. I was duped. Most of us had EE as our first AMs. I don't know it gives me a headache after a while. I know that the ABC isn't trying to be "special". Just trying to stop people from thinking that any chicken that lays a blue or green egg is an Ameraucana. (Royce I know you got yours to lay white to remove the brown egg genes, I am just being broad about the statement).

Its like this, very simple, if you have chicken A, it lays a brown egg and is a Wyandotte. Then you have chicken B and its an Orpington, it lays a brown egg. What if people started calling both chickens Brownie Eggers??? That would not be fair would it.................................Each chicken has its own distinguishing characteristics. So if a chicken doesn't fit the SOP, and because most Ameraucana traits are dominate (phenotype), just because it looks like one doesn't mean it is one. With this breed the genotype, color, and ability to reproduce it, is part of the breed description.

any one here live close to Saint Marys, PA?
mama... .we go to St Mary's rather often in the summer and probably once a month through the winter. We have a family camp just south of there in Elk country so we check up on it.

What do you need from there? My son lives in DuBois (40 mins from there) and my SO goes through Ridgeway and Elk County pretty regular for work. So we should be able to help you out.

I think PaChickengirl lives in DuBois also...

I just went onto a huge rant on the Ameraucana thread, here it is:

This is a very sensitive subject. I have several breeds of chickens. I understand everything you are saying about the culls etc. Imagine if someone took all the culls from your breed and marketed them as a quality birds, and then a whole lot of people lied, were misled, etc. about the "quality". Not cool. What would make it even more interesting, is what if they breed those culls together, and marketed those birds as quality birds too.

I have experimented with my breeds, listed in my signature. Almost everything about an Ameraucana is dominate over other breed characteristics. So a lot of chickens can be bred to "look" like Ameraucana, but they will not breed true 50% of the time.

The reason I believe the club has this statement is because the integrity of the the breed is in jeopardy. Quality can become poor, from the SOP stand point. Most people don't care where there chickens "come" from. Whether it is location, or genetically. Especially if you are talking about people who order from a hatchery in the first place. Most of them have listed that they are not show quality birds.

I would not expect any else. I was duped. Most of us had EE as our first AMs. I don't know it gives me a headache after a while. I know that the ABC isn't trying to be "special". Just trying to stop people from thinking that any chicken that lays a blue or green egg is an Ameraucana. (Royce I know you got yours to lay white to remove the brown egg genes, I am just being broad about the statement).

Its like this, very simple, if you have chicken A, it lays a brown egg and is a Wyandotte. Then you have chicken B and its an Orpington, it lays a brown egg. What if people started calling both chickens Brownie Eggers??? That would not be fair would it.................................Each chicken has its own distinguishing characteristics. So if a chicken doesn't fit the SOP, and because most Ameraucana traits are dominate (phenotype), just because it looks like one doesn't mean it is one. With this breed the genotype, color, and ability to reproduce it, is part of the breed description.
HeatherScooby,
I also start with Hatchery eggs from a Friend who still insists she has true Ameraucanas. After joining the BYC I learned what I had. I got a trio of Black from J Blehm lines. They are awesome. got rid of the others kept a few brown egg chickens for those that wont eat the blue...LOL. Next step is Join the APA and start to show in order to help me understand what my group needs to improve on. So any advice you have for me would be great, As I love these chickens.
Also What thread was that? Would love to read more on them.
WLrabbitry

What brand of chick starter feed do you use? Medicated/unmediated? Stocking up on my supplies before my little flock of 8 chicks arrive on 4/9!

I use unmedicated. I used medicated with my first batch....but when I got the second set, I also got ducklings...and couldn't use medicated....and now I won't go back.

Back
Top Bottom