Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Ray, I hope to have the same luck with the olive oil, her crop feels completely normal now... so now she just needs to feel better and get back out with the girls! oletymer, I hope you're feeling better... maybe a little oil would help... LOL get better, rest a lot and try to keep the temp down.....

2. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

haha[​IMG]...okay..[​IMG], you guys have had way too much coffee or sometin"...these are good-keepem' comin!!

that is good![​IMG]...***Ole-get some rest, and hope you feel better in the a.m[​IMG]....man, don't tell me this stuff is goin' around again [​IMG]..

3. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Sure you can grease up your finger and stick it up there. Use a water based lube. Do this after the warm bath. Let her soak for 1/2 hour or 1 hour if she is tolerating it well. If the egg breaks stop trying to finger it out. You will have to let her finish the job, if that doesn't work you can try a vet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    There is not a 4-H club in Berks County. They come to the Lebanon County poultry club.

5. LittleMissPurdy

How long do you usually have, if she doesn't get it out on her own, to get to a vet or some one who could help?...It could keep other things from doing what they need to do,right?,like potty?..that could lead to "jaundice"?, idk what it would be for a chicken, basically poisoning...am I even close to understanding this..[​IMG]..sorry for all the questions & thank you for your knowledge, I would guess this is something that does happen to layers enough and the vet office closest to us is approx. 1/2 hr to. 45 mins. away, and that's in good weather. Just trying to prepare for these issues, hopefully will never have to go there.[​IMG]

6. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Don't be afraid to ask any questions. I have had chickens for years. I still don't know everything!!!! I learn something new almost everyday. I also know there are several ways to get to one end. So might work for one might not work for the other.

Yes it can lead to all those things.

The vet might not know what to do. I had a hen that was egg bound. I soaked her twice a day for quite a few days, nothing. So I took her to the vet. We put her under, so we were sure she would completely relax. The vet stuck her finger you know where, and she said something is wrong. My poor "Baby Blue" died on the table. So we opened her up, her whole body cavity was full of yolks!!! She had a large tumor on her ovary. The vet thinks it was mass producing yolks and it blew open her oviduct. So the yolks were going into her body cavity, and they got rancid. We took over 1000cc of the rancid fluid out of her body. It was horrible. It was a genetic defect that comes from inbreeding. That is what she told me.

So could she be egg bound, usually after a couple of soakings it will resolve (the egg will come out). That's why I took my chicken to the vet. She wasn't eating or drinking toward the end. I loved that chicken so much. I have a pullet right now that reminds me of her. I almost tear up when I think about it.

Did you hear anything funky in her lungs?

7. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    WOW! If my mind wasn't being pecked around in the gutter by chooks before.

8. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    LOL [​IMG]

9. LittleMissPurdy

omg Chad!!...for shame!..well, ok..itis getting late. i'm havin a hard time hittinf the keys correctly..[​IMG]

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    What did I do? It's late, everyone is asleep, I have a tall glass of orange juice (purely for medicinal purposes) and catching up on chicken chat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by