Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I'm a squatter, so I didn't have any issues with it, LOL! Might not be the best idea for leafy veggies though, like lettuce. Not sure I'd want to eat it after growing with bird poop all around it, even after washing!

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    It could be worse...

[​IMG]

3. radioman

radioman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Indiana County
    OMG, with those trees in the background it looks like a shot right from JP!

Those are some interesting birds!

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I also use the bedding from the coops in my garden. I pile it up through the winter then spread it over the garden and til it into the soil. During the summer I spread the bedding between the rows which does help to choke out weeds. I find I don't barefoot garden like I used to [​IMG] but I get great results especially the jalapenos and tomatoes!

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Psh. I find it to be CLEANER to walk on the bedding than to walk on the bare soil. Before we started using bedding, my feet were always BLACK, and I'd have to wash up every time I played in the garden. That kind of thing is EXACTLY why there's the wash cloth rule... Use the wash cloth for your body, legs and arms, use your hands only to wash your face, feet and umm, nether region.

My tomatoes were like HEDGES! I never got anything off of them though, because everybody could still reach every last tomato on those darn plants.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    WOAH WOAH WOAH., Sorry had to break in here.....Spectracide is good. Round up is the safest herbicide you can use. It dissapates within an hour of applying. You do not use it before a rain otherwise it will wash away. If it gets in water it will not kill fish. It is a specific herbicide and only an herbicide. Spectricide contains bromine which kills fast\, but can have long term effects taht can be bad having animals

7. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Aww...nice to see Im not the only one with a silkie inside....[​IMG]

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    haha she's been living inside since she was 6 weeks old XD she thinks she's a human

9. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

thats why I said Bad stuff!, but sometimes if you are having an issue w/ bad plants...(we had poison oak&ivy growing from the neighbors unkept mess to our yard)..I know about the Keep away from animals thing...definitely don't want them around for awhile, I wasn't sure in what application MC was needing it for...just need to get rid of some grass...or have some weeds in the garden...really don't wan to use spectracide in the garden, Like Chad said, stays for awhile.[​IMG]

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    There was a breeder down your way that had the shamos for sale a while back on CL. $30/ea just to move them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by