Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

This is Brown Bear. He is a 5-y-o German Shepherd/Collie Mix. Raised with children and other animals his owners moved, and didn't bring him with them. I am thinking of adopting him this coming week.
I have been lucky with my last few dogs. They stay in the yard. How will I know Bear is ready to be off leash in the yard? Ironic that I am not worried about introducing the chickens. His breeds and a general understanding of dogs eases my mind on that front. I am interested in tips on training him to not cross the property line. I only have an acre. Cars are a (small) concern too.
love.gif

Thanks Ray. I know these birds aren't the best quality and I am ok with that, They are just for the egger coop. I just hope their eggs are good and dark!

Hope they nicely for you,,, some of my " not so good " girls lay the nicest eggs,,, seems nearly impossible to get it all in one bird with this breed. Some work on egg color, others want the perfect bird and lose egg color, hard to get the best of both worlds Good luck with them,,, you'll like their personalities !

Last edited:
Ugh. Feel like I can never get ahead with soap or candles. I just made a dozen candles, but nine are spoken for!!! Plus, soap? Double UGH! I have three scents that only have two bars left, one batch with only one, one batch with none, one with only four. I think I'm going to have to make double batches or even triple batches of some of them, like the cucumber melon, oatmeal milk and honey and honeysuckle, because I JUST made batches of those, even a double batch of the OMH and they're already out or very low! If it didn't cost over $100 for an extra set of molds, I'd be buying another set just to keep some stuff in stock, but my wax is getting too low for comfort (maybe 20lbs left, if that?) and THAT's about $100 just for the wax, and that's more necessary than extra molds. :/

Quote: I like the flag idea. I will see how things go. I am against shock collars, but as you said. Not all shock, and I know the collars are adjustable too. I will try with the flags. May even just rope off a section with flags tied every few feet. Now if only I could shock the one neighbor.

I know, it just sucks that people will have to cut out for the kids, like us. Its healthy for them, and no BLARNEY I wont milk a goat YET!

Well now, that's scary. It's like you are in my head reading my thoughts....

Si! Penta. I got yer txt... you get mine? I could end up by Cabela's as soon as tomorrow. Lily was acting a little crazy today, I thought it was the winds, now I'm concerned that her 'date' didn't take and that I've got to get her bred again. I wasn't home today and couldn't watch her behavior.

For those of you who own an iPad, is it worth the extra $100 for the newest model with retina display? Or go with ipad2? Considering buying one....

Hope they nicely for you,,, some of my " not so good " girls lay the nicest eggs,,, seems nearly impossible to get it all in one bird with this breed. Some work on egg color, others want the perfect bird and lose egg color, hard to get the best of both worlds Good luck with them,,, you'll like their personalities !

Thanks Ray! This is the one coop I can just relax about already and just enjoy them. Don't care if they have extra toes or if their combs aren't perfect. They are going to be in with several other breeds of hens and a cochin roo for company.

MC, I think it will depend upon your doggie's previous 5 years combined with his breeding. If he was a guardian dog for his former family, he will adapt to yours. Based on our two adoptees, figure at very least a month onleash and see how he bonds to you. A rural dog used to freedom is going to want to roam further and faster than a city leash dog. If you don't want to shock, you could try a really long leash/tie wire. It really all depends on the dog. I think you will get a good handle on how it is going to work out in about 4-5 months. It took ours a full year until they fellt like they owned the place; even then the 6 yr old we have does not have the ownership of the home like the 15 month old we had. Again though, it may be a factor of their previous environment. It was hard for a city leash dog to learn to own a wide open property.

Blarney, wave on your way to Cabelas. Avoid the place on weekends though-- it's mobbed!
Found a rehome for our FBlueCM roo. Time for the young black one to step up and take over the flock so we can hatch blackies!

Back
Top Bottom