Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

images
these i am not sure what i was thinking, i have no bantam pen..

Awww they're cute. Yes, alcohol and e-bay do NOT mix. Lucky for me, I usually fall asleep and get outbid.

Wing u ever see that movie, 'The Hangover'? Know how at the end they show in quick succession all the craziness of the night? Don't ya wish u could rewind and watch last night over?

Wow...what a thread! Yay P-A-! Saw that I should come to this thread to say 'Hi', in the 'required reading...so, Hi! 

Welcome!

My new avatar is what I believe to be a Silkie bantam and he is one of the three and not sure on the gender I have pics of him on my profile in the silkie album along with the other 3
:D
so what do you guys think of him and is he a silkie?

Welcome! Yes, Silkie! Sex...um, I dunno, Silkies are notoriously hard to sex.

What type (watt/color) of light bulbs does everybody use for their brooder??? I"m getting frustrated. The red ones from TSC are teflon coated and 250 watts. My brooder is a smaller kiddie pool, so 250 watt is overkill anyway. The light is only about 18" above floor of brooder. It's hard to find red light bulbs anymore. Found some at Kmart earlier but they are only 25 watt and the poor peepies were huddling together in a ball. I didn't like that, so I put 100 watt regular white bulb in and then they all scattered around the edges..... I finally put a 60 watt black light in, that seems better. (I was running out of incandescent bulbs in the house..) So what does everyone else use??
Most of mine are on 75 watt white light. My ducks are on 60 watts white light, and my younger ones are also on 60 watt because their light sits 10-12 inches above them. They seem comfortable. The only thing I'll have on red light is my Turkeys coming in June. I'll probably swing by the feed store and grab a 250 watt monster for my HUGE rubber livestock water tub brooder, it'll be hung high and the poults could use the extra warmth if they needed it. My half-basement is cold!
lol.png

If you're looking for smaller watt red lights, try going to petsmart or petco and wander over to the reptile section. Often times, they'll have 60-150 watt red basking bulbs for bearded dragons, water monitors, and other scalies that seem to prefer the less obnoxious light color. Reptile people also use it as an over-nighter bulb.

What type (watt/color) of light bulbs does everybody use for their brooder???  I"m getting frustrated.  The red ones from TSC are teflon coated and 250 watts.  My brooder is a smaller kiddie pool, so 250 watt is overkill anyway.  The light is only about 18" above floor of brooder.  It's hard to find red light bulbs anymore.  Found some at Kmart earlier but they are only 25 watt and the poor peepies were huddling together in a ball.  I didn't like that, so I put 100 watt regular white bulb in and then they all scattered around the edges.....   I finally put a 60 watt black light in, that seems better.  (I was running out of incandescent bulbs in the house..)   So what does everyone else use??

I get my red bulbs from Lowes, but have been using a brinsea Ecoglow, I'm liking it more and more. It's low fire hazard, uses less energy, no light so chicks are more likely to sleep at night, and way easier to wean them from. The down side is that they are expensive and the 20 chick Ecoglow seems more suited to 10 or 12 chicks.

Ok guys, I tried, promise I did, but I'm 54 pages behind!!! There is NO chance I'll catch up.

So, Hi to any newbies I missed.

SgtMom, I did see your question about Kniselys. They get chicks on Weds and Fris. They have a calendar on their website as to what arrives on what days so you know whether it's worth your while.

I will add anyone to the map who needs to be added to the map, if you inbox me (ylenad I have yours and will add you as soon as I post this)

Came home last night from a weekend in DE, Fiancee had been home alone. Went out to lock the chickens up, look down and have a white bodied, red-headed rooster in front of me....I don't own any of this....THEN I realize it's my Delaware roo!!!! His whole head and shoulders were COVERED in blood!!! I picked him up and carried him in the house so I could inspect/clean/care for. His one eye I thought was swollen shut, turned out to be crusted shut with dried blood. His whole comb was bloody...not sure if he got attacked....go frostbite (didn't look like it) or what...but once he was washed and blukoted (along with my hand and the sink, and the wall...) and dried (he sat still soooo well for the hair dryer!), I returned him to the coop....where he went right to the feeder, filled up...then went to attack one of the girls. He was fine this morning when I went out.

great to see you back Missy, thought we were going to have to send out a search party! Sorry about your Roo, sounds like you got him fixed right up.

Ok guys, I tried, promise I did, but I'm 54 pages behind!!! There is NO chance I'll catch up.

Came home last night from a weekend in DE, Fiancee had been home alone. Went out to lock the chickens up, look down and have a white bodied, red-headed rooster in front of me....I don't own any of this....THEN I realize it's my Delaware roo!!!! His whole head and shoulders were COVERED in blood!!! I picked him up and carried him in the house so I could inspect/clean/care for. His one eye I thought was swollen shut, turned out to be crusted shut with dried blood. His whole comb was bloody...not sure if he got attacked....go frostbite (didn't look like it) or what...but once he was washed and blukoted (along with my hand and the sink, and the wall...) and dried (he sat still soooo well for the hair dryer!), I returned him to the coop....where he went right to the feeder, filled up...then went to attack one of the girls. He was fine this morning when I went out.
Welcome Back!! I had the unfortunate experience of watching a hawk try to eat my Silkie for about 2 minutes(long story) once. We realized she was still alive and rescued the poor thing. The only thing that hawk had done that whole time was try to eat her eye. You made me think of that when you said his eye was bloody and crusted over, maybe a hawk? Poor Boy, he deserves extra treats for sure.
Quote: I use the 250 W Red, but after a week or so, it is too hot. I'm gonna try the pet store, thanks for the tip.
Quote: No, NO, NO! I have a plan, no chicks till the shipment comes in and my Easter babies hatch. Learned my lesson about having too many age groups. Not enough cages!! Mixing them never worked for me, they always fight.
Anyone hatching wyandottes? Or trying to be rid of extras? Need some more chick! I'm practically begging for an enabler!
I only have 5 week old cockerels.2 Black Laced Red & 1 Blue Laced Red.
Quote: I want to rewind, and see her last night. Okay, I really just want to see the pizza boys expression when she offered him the $$!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom