Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BorderBrigade

BorderBrigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    I think they are lovely! But i'm a little biased since i hatched them:) I mainly hatched them so i could use them for eggs and keep my cochin eggs for hatching. Please PM me if anyones interested.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. grandpaw roo

grandpaw roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    Looking for some Bantam Silver Laced Cochins or Bantam SL Wyandottes in se pa.

3. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA

I quilt and sew and I am learning to spin and weave. But knitting is my thing. Well, knitting and now chickens (says my husband). I just finished a hooded sweater for myself today. I need to weave in the ends, block it and find buttons.

Hey all, where is this FB page? Can someone PM me? Thanks.

4. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Yep!

5. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i start out with a 100 watt, as the chicks get older, i start dropping wattage,then i go to a bigger brooder with a 100 watt,but since its really long they can get away from the heat if they get to warm, never use the teflon coated, kills chicks fast

6. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    My first batch last April did fine with the red one from TSC. I raised it every week, and after about two weeks I just watched for body language. Now I have chicks that don't want the lamp. They are about 10 days old, and are only now 100% quiet (and not huddled) now that the light is off. It has been off for an hour, and the temp in the room is 68. Silly chicks.
    Glad he is okay. I can imagine the horror of seeing him so bloody!

7. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all of the light bulb replies!! It sounds like I'm in the ball park now with the 60 watt. Peeps have been pretty quiet.

Yes, be careful with the red bulbs from TSC, as others have found out from the company that they are teflon coated, but they refuse to put a warning on them since they are not specifically labeled for birds (even though TSC has them all around their chick day displays!!) [​IMG] They can wipe out babies really quickly!

I will look into the reptile bulbs. Boy, they can get pricey!! I got a full spectrum UV for my tortoises.... holy crap!!! [​IMG]

The EcoGlow seems like a neat idea... but I'm guessing it wouldn't work very long with goslings. They turn into monster peepies pretty quickly!

8. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    I think you should get sheep... I mean, just LOOK at that cuteness!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I didn't have good luck with the eco-glow brooders.

Gmama, sorry you lost your EE, she was a very pretty lady.

Sally, everyone has settled in well, Thank you!!!

I have 8 Marans chicks!!!! No assisted hatching. All natural!

Next up, English Orps, b\b\s, and some Ameraucana!

Lilbrownie, I am crafty too! the shopping addiction! the chicken addiction! What's next??? Do you like cheese, its my favorite food!

I am also sad to say that I ordered 12 Mottled Bantam Cochins egg, only two are developing :-(

Good news is my hot mess of homegrown eggs are doing well! So that makes 40 for that hatch, can't wait to see what I get!

Welcome to all the new folks, happy chickening!

I also wanted to say I have two broodies already!!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    WOW!
    Welcome aboard!
    I usually run across a ton of them.
    *clears throat* I crochet
    I use a grow bulb if the reds get to hot.
    I think they are beautiful
    Sweetness on the no assist marans!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by