Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
  2. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    For the light issue, I do the raise the light as well. I have my brooder in the basement and have a nail in the joist above the brooder. I have a string attached to the back of the light and can lower it so it's almost touching the top of the brooder...and then can lift it by increments till it's well away from the brooder.

3. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    Every bulb I have used they have worked on. They don't work on the new spiral light bulbs, but I wouldn't use one of those anyway. It works by limiting the amount of electricity to whatever is plugged into it. I use them in my brooders bulbs, on lamps in the house, and on a large heater I have on my big "brooder" in the garage.

4. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Originally Posted by galgo98 [​IMG]

What type (watt/color) of light bulbs does everybody use for their brooder??? I"m getting frustrated. The red ones from TSC are teflon coated and 250 watts. My brooder is a smaller kiddie pool, so 250 watt is overkill anyway. The light is only about 18" above floor of brooder. It's hard to find red light bulbs anymore. Found some at Kmart earlier but they are only 25 watt and the poor peepies were huddling together in a ball. I didn't like that, so I put 100 watt regular white bulb in and then they all scattered around the edges..... I finally put a 60 watt black light in, that seems better. (I was running out of incandescent bulbs in the house..) So what does everyone else use??

I think mine is 250, red color? Its the max heat, from the reptile section in petco... I slowly start to move it away from them. Mine are in a shower area! lol and it has all these different levels on the one side(where you would keep the shampoo and soap) So I just move the heater up the "ladder" To reduce they temps :) It isn't exact but they have all seemed happy with it!

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I use a regular light bulb. I start with a 60w and then go to a 40

6. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    You guys all know so much. I am so glad i found this site! It has helped me SO much! Thank you all! And i apologize for always having questions and not contributting much. I just don't have enough expereince to feel comfortable contributing to answers yet. [​IMG]

So, on to the next question. [​IMG] Right now my chicks (all 23 of them, ranging from 3 weeks to a few days) are in the brooder. I was hesitant to put them all together but most are only about a week apart. there are 2 biggies. the 3 week olds that were given to me becuase they had no one to go with and they had them in with babies when i got them, so they said they would be fine. So far, so good. I have 2 wateres and 2 feeders in a large 4' diameter cardboard tube (the kind for pouring concrete in to, to make a cylinder. It is about 2' high. Has worked perfect for them all. I have a 250w red light on them as they are in our garage (detached, not heated) and it gets down in the 40's in there at night. They have been comfy and I lowered it when I got the bitties yesterday so they could stay warm. I figured the older ones would just move further away, and they have. I have it about 18" above the floor and they don't seem to hot. they stay under it but not huddled in a group. Just kinda laying together. I am getting my coop (an 8x10 shed) this weekend and plan on moving them out there so they have more room. (with the light of corse) My question is (actually questionS) will they be ok in the shed with the light on? My thought is it might stay warmer as they will be in a smaller space that is more closed in. Should i partition the shed and keep them in half of it for now till they get bigger? Should i just take the brooder i have now and move it in to the shed and keep them in that brooder for a little while? When should i start moving the light up off of them? by how much how often? Thanks for any help. I have been lucky so far to have healthy chicks and would hate to lose some becuase of the move and me not knowing better. My DD is extremely attached, as am I.
    Sorry for the long post. Just wanna know how you guys transition, especially with a mixed age group.
    THanks!

7. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    So the other day, a car pulls into the driveway, and it's neighbors from 1 street over. "Are you missing one of your roosters?" Umm....no.... Seems while we were in Myrtle Beach a bantam rooster showed up in the area, he's been wandering around in peoples yards. I said, no we were away, and ours were all locked up (plus, I only have 1 bantam, and he makes sure I know he's alive and well!) So last night, Fiancee gets an email from one of the township supervisors. Same question! LOL Guess I'm gonna go adopt another roo.

8. fawngrovechad

fawngrovechad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    PA in USA
  9. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    and, my last post of the day.. that took a while to catch up! Time do to some work! lol

For all those who keep getting sick, mix up a batch of Super Tonic: Equal parts grated onion, garlic, ginger, horseradish and some FRESH cayenne pepper or the hottest pepper you can get. Pour in some Braggs Apple Cider vinegar to fill the bottle. Leave in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks. Strain and drink 1-2 tsp several times a day. You'll clear right up, and it helps with nausea too.

Is this for the chickens or people! hahah

Wing: Chicken UPDATE!!
    All the chickens are getting along nicely, they are still laying and the BF brought home a new crate for them, hopefully they use that instead of escaping the temporary pen I made for them and laying all over the barn! Also I know you said to wait a good 2 -3 weeks to put them all together, but like I said they kept escaping! They are good jumpers and Flyer's!! I guess they had practice at your place! [​IMG] LOL But yesterday I opened the door to the coop ( they knew right where it was) and walked right it and made the place theirs! I am going to have to give them Pedis and clip their wings, since the top of my main coop is open and they are still clearing the 6ft enclosure, 1 of the Blues was out of that last night, and layed an egg over at the other temp pen area!! and she was standing next to the door to get back into the main coop area! Make up your mind girl! The small one Ryan picked, I did have to keep in the temp. area, since she is to small and not able to own her place with the big birds, So I left her in the pen the others kept escaping, and added my other EE,they are about the same age/size and hopefully those two will become friends since my EEs 2 buddies(Roos) are gong to become stew if no one wants them... Or I will just toss them out and let the hawks weed them out, ya know let nature take care of it! Again everyone seems happy healthy, fingers crossed.. I am worried that I mixed them together all ready, prolly a crazy rookie mistake. [​IMG] I will make sure to keep a close eye on them to make sure everyone looks and stays healthy. I even put some ACV in their water! Not sure if that helps but I suppose it can't hurt! Ugh how bad is it I let them all together.. it's bad isn't it??? [​IMG]

Now to just get the outside run set up and we will be golden! This winter weather needs to be over all ready!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  10. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by