Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Brittany7

Brittany7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gardners PA
    thanks for info. I really just want a good pet and eggers. I am not looking for meat birds. I am going to have a run and a coop for them. I want to let them free range in the eveningss when i am out doing some yard work or that so i can keep an eye on them. we live in the middle of woods farms and orchards little of a mix all the way around us. we have people on both sides of us and we dont have a fence execpt around our pool. so 100% free range all the time i dont think would be a good idea. I like the silkies and polishes for their looks. but i am open to really any breed.

2. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Sorry for your loses. I wanted to tell you I had 2 guinea pigs. One died, they can have heart attacks at the drop of a hat. It is common if you have 2, that the one that is left will die of a broken heart. The is my experience for 3 different sets of them.

3. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Yes. Infinitely. Eventually you will get to the point where it crosses your mind, out of the blue, and you realize you haven't thought about it for at least a day... Then a week... Last weekend I had a moment where I thought about it, and realized I couldn't remember the last time I had thought about it. Then I promptly was turned off by the memory of the taste. It gets easier. The first 72 is chemical addiction, and I think i slept through nearly all of it, for fear of having a moment of weakness. After that is the psychological addiction, which is harder. Keep reminding yourself why you did it, write it out if it makes it easier to remember. Just remember you can do this!

4. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I am an ex smoker! I was a parting twenty something, that worked 2nd shift a nursing home. It took me lots of times to quit. You know what worked? A different job, so I didn't associate my breaks with smoking. Taking Chantix helped more then anything! What really helped the most, is age. I stopped smoking in my car too. I changed my behavior for about 30 days before I started the meds, and it was all over in the matter of 2 weeks. I also stopped drinking. Drinking makes me want to woff down a whole pack! Other then that, I don't miss it at all!

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

I got several of my chickens from them last year. They were good to deal with, and Ed (owner) offered to do a quick necropsy on anything that dies...I only called him on one, and unfortunately, we couldn't make it work. I got speckled sussex from them, and while they were supposed to be pullets...one day one of them crowed...but then, that's just my luck. For me at least, they'd let me take home as few as 1. Not sure if it was cause they knew I already had chickens at home, or if that's just how they roll. The one thing I will say, is they are hatchery quality birds. IF what you are looking for is egg layers, that's fine. IF you want something that's going to look close to SOP (standard of perfection) SPECIFICALLY with silkies and polishes....they're not necessarily the best plan. I will get chickens from them if I'm just filling up my yard, but I prefer to deal with people on here. I gave myself lots of notice from when I decided I wanted the chickens to when I needed to have them to give myself time to find people. For instance, I got my Americaunnas from SgtMom (but she doesn't have chicks this year) I got my Wellies and Delewares directly from Whitmore Farms in MD (a hop, skip and a jump from us). I got my BLRW and Marans from a gentleman in MD as well. My lovely single Salmon Favorelle came from Beaglady, along with my black, black/white Muscovies.

A. Duck (she's a year old) has laid several times. Her MO is lay for 5 days, stop for 2 weeks, lay for 5 days, stop entirely! Drake, well, obviously he's a drake, and well..unless he's gay, the other 2 are girls!
    B. Which Schaefferstown Festival? Cherry Blossom??? I swear I never saw chickens at it when I lived there!
    C. Does he sell chicks/do you want to hatch for me, as I don't have a bator?

Sounds like time for hawk soup. They are endangering your animals, therefore you can shoot!

A. This is normal, sadly. Wish I could put lots of silkies in your way so you wouldn't notice him, but, speaking from experience, that won't work. I can say...eventually your mind and your heart will get on the same page and make your mouth tell him where to go permanently....and then you take the time to heal...and prince charming will be out there somewhere. In the meantime, it seems like he's just a d-bag in a tinfoil suit.
    B. Don't apologize for not sticking to chickens. NONE of us are just our birds. We all have more to us, and we are all friends, so we don't mind other stuff coming up, or at least I don't, heck, I'm planning my wedding on here!

That's normal. Mine swore he was gonna off them all...but like Chad says, we will find a solution for them.

That's a good deal. Might have to consider doing this in the spring...oh wait...according to the calendar, we are in spring!

That has to do with your zipcode. Chad lives in the middle of FARM country. People out here aren't willing to pay as much.

If you look at my sig, you will see that I couldn't decide on a breed. My requirements for my chickens started simple. A. Cold Tolerant. B. Heat Tolerant. C. Good/Decent Freeranger. D. Ok with being locked up (not that I try to do this, but sometimes they're stuck inside for a few days, weather and my life being what causes it) E. Not Flighty. F. Not Agressive. G. Dual Puprose (ok, this was closer to the top, but I'm going by what I can think of) H. Decent egg layer, that doesn't mean an egg a day, but preferably at least 3-4 per week. I. Eye candy. I like to see an assortment out there. J. Egg color, I wanted a rainbow....of course I like pretty birds...so all the pretty little Americaunnas and EE's that I picked out....turned out to by boys! K. There is no K, but I realized I have an alphabet of demands going on!

I lucked into Fiancee owning 3 acres and an unused detached cinderblock garage, which happened to have a hole in the side that used to be a dog door...turned 1/4 of the garage into a lovely coop! Now if I could get my house out of the 1970's I'd be a happy girl!

Ok, so my sister's relay for life team needed a fundraiser, and I volunteered Easter Eggs....didn't expect it to go over so well, and didn't expect my girls to go on strike! So now I'm 6 dozen short! And of course need them for this weekend....does anyone have non-hatching eggs (don't care if they're fertile or not) that they want to sell me for $2 or less a dozen????

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I went to the feed store today [​IMG]

and came home with 14 pullets [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Five Easter Eggers

[​IMG]

Five Black Australorps

[​IMG]

Two Rhode Island Red & Two White Leghorns

[​IMG]

I also reserved 4 Buff Opringtons, 4 Gold Laced Wyandottes and 4 Speckled Sussex which they will be getting in later. [​IMG]

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awesome!! I would love visitors, but do I need to get out of my sweats? LOL

Wing I quit smoking when I turned 40! OMG SUCKED to say the least, now others really stink! LOL and Chad makes me cough! LOL true story!

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YAY!!!

9. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Wing- I smoked for 24 years. Quit 2 years ago with the help of GOD and Nicorette. The last 2 months have been kind of stressful, and I made the mistake of thinking I was sooo"Over It" that I could afford to cheat every now and again with a beer or two! Wrong! About 2 weeks ago, I found myself wondering how I got to everyday, again. It sucks, now I'm back to Nicorette. But it does get better!!!!! Just don't ever cheat once it's over. Here's a hug, I know you need it![​IMG]

10. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Brittany, Sally has silkie chicks! And she's only over just east of Lebanon, right off 78!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by