Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My pekins are skittish, but I got them as adults. My runners are the same. The muscovies I can walk right over & pick up usually but they were younger when I got them & had been well handled. We have babies in the brooder that are handled constantly & the babies we raised last year were pretty calm as well. My call ducks I can usually pick right up as well, but they are in a smaller pen & can't get away as easy. I just don't give my babies a choice. They get used to me whether they want to or not. Plus the kids cart them everywhere.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    My Rouens follow me around the yard like dogs...they come running when they hear my voice!

3. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Some of my babies last year did that. The ones I hand raised. Hopefully this year's batch will too. I have rouens & pekins in the brooder & runners, calls, scovies, pekins & anconas in the bators.

4. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody hatched a chick! My broody hatched s chick! (I'm excited, new to me.)
    [​IMG]
    The eggs werent hers and the green ones just got laid in there today. She still managed to hatch at least one! Monday was day 21.

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    How exciting!!! I am still waiting for a hen to go broody so I can hatch my own babies!

So...CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG]

6. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! I've only had it happen once also, and it was so exciting and cute to watch them grow with Mama!

8. pagumby

pagumby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Hummelstown, PA
    Thanks I'm going to need something once we get the fence up.
    How many chickens do you have in that area? That's roughly the size we are going to do. Have 14 chicks and 8 ducklings now. Wont be stopping either. My husband wants 2 geese as well among other things lol.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  9. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have another broody on more eggs, too. Two of my four orpingtons went broody within weeks of each other. I think my one EE shared duties during the day to give her breaks. Is that possible?

10. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Yay!!! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by