Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anybody around bucks county have some funky looking chickens lol our Grammie (87 years young) wants 1 or 2 to add to our flock either chicks due to hatch around the 26th (we have eggs in the bator due that day) or in the spring I would rather get them local even if its eggs to hatch out

Never heard of it......................what channel or station?     My chicken that is supposedly 10 or 11 months old................still has not laid an egg for me since I acquired her 2 weeks ago.  Someone on here said that she may be older than her stated age..........................how can I tell the age of a chicken?   She is the one in my avatar picture.............    Should I worry about her not laying an egg?   she has made loud vocalizations...................and seems generally content.    eating..........pooping.................sleeping.................exploring ..............drinking.........any thoughts on this.........??????  My general feeling is she is just not ready............and she really has not found the nest box........................she also may not be eating the oyster shell..............I cant really tell but I have put it out for her............

It's on NatGeo Wild (channel 118 for comcast). I never heard of it either, until I was flipping through the channels and turned it on. It's by far the best reality show. They never swear and it's the whole family can watch it. Last night while I was watching he treated a rat, an iguana, a horse, a calf, and a pug. So it's cool to see how knowledgeable he is on all these different animal types.

Good morning all, I have a couple of questions for ya today. We have 6 RIR pullets who are 20 weeks old give or take a couple of days. None of whom are laying yet. They are all getting quite noisy and one or two are squatting so we should be getting eggs any day now right?
I have been told that we should candle our eggs even though there is no chance of them being fertile since we don't have a rooster but because there could be blood in the yolks. Is that true or is candling unnecessary?
Also we have one bird who for some reason has decided that she likes the large pine trees that they hang out around during the day better than the coop for sleeping. That only happened a couple times before a second bird decided to join her out there. Now we go out in the evening and get all the girls back into the run about an hour before dark because we don't want anyone getting hurt or all of them deciding that they want to move out of the coop too.
lol.png
I guess I am wondering if that is normal also since these are our first chickens?
Thanks for any and all input.

Never heard of it......................what channel or station? My chicken that is supposedly 10 or 11 months old................still has not laid an egg for me since I acquired her 2 weeks ago. Someone on here said that she may be older than her stated age..........................how can I tell the age of a chicken? She is the one in my avatar picture............. Should I worry about her not laying an egg? she has made loud vocalizations...................and seems generally content. eating..........pooping.................sleeping.................exploring ..............drinking.........any thoughts on this.........?????? My general feeling is she is just not ready............and she really has not found the nest box........................she also may not be eating the oyster shell..............I cant really tell but I have put it out for her............

Lisa, if your hen is an older production bird, she won't lay anymore eggs probably. Some of the hybrid egg layers only lay for 18-24 months. A chicken that is called heritage bred, lays less eggs per week. They will lay for years. With this being said, it will take a hen up to a month or two to start laying again. She might be getting ready to molt. As long as she is eating, dringing, etc..... Don't worry for a couple more weeks
smile.png

Good morning all, I have a couple of questions for ya today. We have 6 RIR pullets who are 20 weeks old give or take a couple of days. None of whom are laying yet. They are all getting quite noisy and one or two are squatting so we should be getting eggs any day now right?
I have been told that we should candle our eggs even though there is no chance of them being fertile since we don't have a rooster but because there could be blood in the yolks. Is that true or is candling unnecessary?
Also we have one bird who for some reason has decided that she likes the large pine trees that they hang out around during the day better than the coop for sleeping. That only happened a couple times before a second bird decided to join her out there. Now we go out in the evening and get all the girls back into the run about an hour before dark because we don't want anyone getting hurt or all of them deciding that they want to move out of the coop too.
lol.png
I guess I am wondering if that is normal also since these are our first chickens?
Thanks for any and all input.

You are doing the right thing, you wanna nip that in the bud ASAP. I am not saying it is completely normal for that breed. It isn't to abnormal in general. You should be getting eggs soon, any day. Are they production RIR?

You are doing the right thing, you wanna nip that in the bud ASAP.  I am not saying it is completely normal for that breed.   It isn't to abnormal in general.  You should be getting eggs soon, any day.  Are they production RIR?

I'm not sure if they're production RIR or not. I got them from my local feed store who said they were RIR. They advertise them as RIR not sexlinks though.

I will be in the Washington/Manongahela area Thursday early afternoon if anyone needs any of the following birds:

Cream Legbar roos
Pekin ducklings
Runner Ducklings
African geese
EE roos
Guineas
Runner drakes
rouen drake
Blue slate & lavender poults
Black winged bronze poult
Tennessee red/bobwhites

I'm looking for the following if you want to swap:
Sebbies
Pilgrims
Pomeranians

PM me for prices or to swap & where to meet at.

I will be in the Washington/Manongahela area Thursday early afternoon if anyone needs any of the following birds:

Cream Legbar roos
Pekin ducklings
Runner Ducklings
African geese
EE roos
Guineas
Runner drakes
rouen drake
Blue slate & lavender poults
Black winged bronze poult
Tennessee red/bobwhites

I'm looking for the following if you want to swap:
Sebbies
Pilgrims
Pomeranians

PM me for prices or to swap & where to meet at.

Any showgirl, silkie, ee fertile eggs? Monoghela is 20 min from me :)

So I am still dizzy :( I pulled it together to have the kids swim party but yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to drive....it wasn't. I was in the store and dizzy but able to function. Then the room started to spin. I closed my eyes to try and focus but I still felt like I was spinning. I almost laid down o. The floor it was so bad. I decided to leave but was walking crooked and people must have thought I was on drugs or drunk bc they were staring at me. I made it to the car and just sat there until the dizziness became tolerable. I made it home ok. It sucks not being able to do things with the kids, drive or just be normal! Ugh. Anyone experience anything like this?

So in chicken news, 2 of my 3 leghorn eggs hatched. We put them under the silkies last night and so far so good. They are in with all the other chickens so hopefully all goes well.

Any showgirl, silkie, ee fertile eggs? Monoghela is 20 min from me
smile.png

So I am still dizzy
sad.png
I pulled it together to have the kids swim party but yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to drive....it wasn't. I was in the store and dizzy but able to function. Then the room started to spin. I closed my eyes to try and focus but I still felt like I was spinning. I almost laid down o. The floor it was so bad. I decided to leave but was walking crooked and people must have thought I was on drugs or drunk bc they were staring at me. I made it to the car and just sat there until the dizziness became tolerable. I made it home ok. It sucks not being able to do things with the kids, drive or just be normal! Ugh. Anyone experience anything like this?

So in chicken news, 2 of my 3 leghorn eggs hatched. We put them under the silkies last night and so far so good. They are in with all the other chickens so hopefully all goes well.
Glad you were able to make it home safely. I have vertigo so I understand the dizzy spells, and all that comes with them...unfortunately
sad.png

Glad you were able to make it home safely. I have vertigo so I understand the dizzy spells, and all that comes with them...unfortunately
sad.png

How often do you have spells? I'm anxious now about driving again and going out alone. I know it only happened once while I was out but it scared the crap out of me! The antivert doesn't help at all so I stopped taking it. Still taking the antibiotic and praying this clears up soon and the med express doctor was right and its only an ear infection. I have epilepsy so I never know if something is a reaction to my medication, a new seizure symptom or something totally unrelated.

Back
Top Bottom