1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Welcome PAChickenLady,
    Your wyandotte girls should do just fine in the winter. They are good cold-hardy birds and their combs are small, which means less risk of frostbite and less heat loss. In regard to heating the coop, I'd recommend searching the learning center (second tab at the top of this page). There are LOTS of threads on that topic. In this part of the world, you will probably be fine without, especially if you are also insulating the coop. My four girls did just fine without heat, with insulation, and with a 40 watt bulb inside a cinder block, which is to keep the waterer from freezing over in the most extreme cold. The problem with heating (electrically) is that, if the power goes out, and your girls are acclimated to the heat source, they will freeze to death. Without the heat source, they should actually put on a little extra down and insulate themselves nicely. My only question is whether two girls are enough to snuggle-generate together? I, too, am a little concerned about this coming winter since one of my original girls died in April/May, and the remaining three have not really bonded with the new fourth girlie enough to imagine she will be invited into the huddle. Fortunately, her chosen roosting spot is actually very close to where we have the cinder block waterer heater, so hopefully that will make up for not being part of the "mean girls clique."Good luck, and welcome to the PA community!

mm

2. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

SUGGESTION: Perhaps someone could contact the appropriate authority so the FDA send a representative laboratory to the tractor supply meet to randomly test some of the birds that arrive for the swap.... In Berks county area, I have seen them occassionally at Green Dragon, Lebanon Livestock Sales, and the small animal sale in Schuylkill county at the farmers market,,, I have talked to the lab rep doing the random testing,,, and I'm thinking if someone reports the slightest POSSIBILITY of sick birds being sold or exchanged,,, the FDA will send someone out to do random testing which is probably the first step in slowing or preventing any further outbreak of what sounds like some form of AVIAN FLU,,,, definitely something to consider..

The woman doing the testing that I talked to was quite educating,,, and they really want to prevent any large scale outbreak in ANY area,,, as MOST of would like to prevent.

We don't need another outbreak and spread of a serious strain of Avian Flu,,,, if this gentleman has a large flock, I'm sure he's selling a good number of birds all over the area.

I'm sure this could be done without giving your name or information,,,,,,,JUST A PREVENTATIVE MEASURE,,,, our taxes pay for this service

thanks everyone, Ray

3. PAChickenLady

PAChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    So maybe I should get look into getting the silkies I want soon so that they can form more of a huddle this winter? I am planning on getting some anyway at some point... My sister-in-law has 4 silkies that are the sweetest little things and I am in love with them!

4. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Well, look at that! You've just caught a very quick-developing case of CHICKEN MATH!!! Congratulations! You are a fast learner!

Sounds like a good plan. I'd just suggest that you do that as soon as possible. As I mentioned in the last post, the newly introduced girlie has not been welcomed "into the flock," so to speak. So, the sooner you can introduce the two groups to each other--and before the GLWs can establish themselves as the "we were here first" group, the better. I know that worked for me when we added a new cat to the family at the same time that we moved to a new house. That way, the new cat wasn't encroaching on the old cat's territory. Also, silkies have feathered feet which makes them more cold-tolerant.
    ETA; I don't have any personal experience with silkies, so other folks here will be of more use than I.
    I am also attaching a link to C.O.O.P., a Philadelphia-based chicken forum. If you brouse through the video section, there's a youtube clip on about the lightbulb/waterer heater. Hope it's helpful!

http://www.chickenowners.com/vids.htm

mm

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. PAChickenLady

PAChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    Thanks so much! I only joined yesterday as my "adoption" was unplanned and a bit sudden... and everyone has been so helpful and welcoming. I think I'm going to like it here!

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Chicken math!!! The only kind I could ever understand!

7. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    My day has been interesting to say the least. First, this morning I went to let the herd out (you know how they rush out the door). I had already spread their cracked corn, but left enough for Cadburry to get some in the bowl. So, I am holding Cadburry while she eats, and three chickens are standing around the water cooler talking about their night, and plans for the day. Seriously, a rooster and hen were standing in front of, and next to the cinder block the water is on, and another hen is standing on the block. They are looking around, drinking, looking at each other, drinking. Looking around some more. It was so funny!
    Then I keep checking, and only get one (can everyone count to one for me?) egg. [​IMG]
    Tonight I was watching television when it just hit me! [​IMG]I have chickens!
    Playing a face book game, it said to find the alarm clock. I clicked on the rooster.
    And, finally, I just gave 18 eggs to the neighbors. There is a hunting camp next door, and some of the family came to have a last fling for Labor Day, and to prepare for school to start. They didn't even know I had chickens (it is too dark to see the run, and the chickens are sleeping). I now feel less guilty about what is going to happen in the morning ... They are going to be awaken by six happy (because they have no idea what I am doing to them next week!) roosters. Can we say, "ALARM CLOCK"? Ha ha!

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

LOL our next door neighbor (who is trying to sell her house) tried complaining about my roosters...I just looked at her and blinked twice then said...umm...we're in an AG area. Oh, and mine don't care what time it is, I came home at 2 am the one morning...and they announced it!

9. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Well come on down this way and I will hook you up!!!

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Another Berks Countian! Excellent!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by