Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Goober1201

Goober1201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Apollo Pa, 15613
    OH MY GOODNESS RED ALERT RED ALERT!!!!!!!!! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH 2 FEED STORES ASKING FOR PRICES ON MEDS, THEY SAID THEY ARE ALMOST OUT OF EVERYTHING!! EVERYONE AROUND ME, APOLLO, DELMONT, PLUM, ETC... BIRDS ARE ALL SICK WITH WHAT SEEMS TO BE A COLD!!! ALMOST ALL WERE AT THE CHICKEN SWAPS THIS SUMMER IN DELMONT!!!!

"BUT" NONE SMELL LIKE EGGS OR DEATH.

I wonder if there is something else going on. BUT I did call the department of AG and someone is calling me back. I talked to tractor supply people and told them whats going on, I emailed the person on craigslist that always post the swap meets and I will be going to the swap on Sunday to see if I see the man. I still feel really bad that I'm trying to shut him down, but he needs to get his girls fixed. Or start all over again. I left my number with some of the mills and they are gonna let me know if someone says what there birds have.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Goober, my BFF has something going on too. We trade chickens back and forth. Some of mine are having some funky symtoms. Just started yesterday. I lost a NN that seemed normal. I have one smelly head, not rotten eggs. If I have to cull everybody, OMG. I have so much invested in my girls, but mostly my heart! I can not image having to have them all killed.

3. Goober1201

Goober1201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Apollo Pa, 15613
    I just got off the phone with the lab people with the department of AG. She told me to not cull, she also said that there have been a BUNCH of studies lately that say even if its Coryza that it can go away forever. It all depends on the bird. But if the bird is not showing any signs of being sick. You can breed and sell them. If they are sick give them meds, if they are not getting better in "1 WEEK" then you have something else going on that needs to be looked at.

4. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Okay, So I was a away for a day and WOW. a lot going on. Blarney! The lipstick must have fallen out of their basket. And they will never notice. lol And the girls are gonna have the prettiest lil vents in Lebanon/Berks Counties [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Please keep your eyes open for "PaChickenLady". She is from Berks County, and a new mom to 2 GLW (or was it silver?). I told her to join us here.

6. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    As a matter of fact, I am going to be breeding next year. Red will be my only rooster for the time being. Of the new chicks I do have 3 Barred Rock. One of the 15 chicks is a rooster. I am getting dizzy trying to figure out which chicks are which breed. I am pretty sure the male is a Partridge Rock, but today I am leaning towards RIR. Whatever he is, I plan on keeping him too. As long as he behaves, he gets to stay... Until i start hatching. My numbers "have to" stay under thirty. Until I build another coop [​IMG] I only PLAN on hatching once. We will see how strong I am.
    BTW, I do understand the difference between Columbian Rock Crosses and the Cornish Rock Cross. Sadly, my "experienced" neighbors don't. They let the poor thing die, and still don't understand why it had a heart attack. I can't make them understand. Then again, my husband's cousins are mentally slow. Anyway, thanks for being sure I knew.

7. PAChickenLady

PAChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    Hi all!! I'm a newbie with two newly adopted twelve week old GLW hens. I adopted them from my brother-and sister-in-law. She has been giving me a lot of advice on raising chickens and she referred me here. I live in Berks County, PA. Any advice for my area? How will they winter? Should I provide a heat source or will they be ok without one? These are my first chickens ever and I'm going to see how things go with them before getting anymore, so it's just the two girls to keep each other warm... Are there any ailments that GLWs are susceptible to? I'd appreciate any advice so I can do right by my girls [​IMG]

8. PAChickenLady

PAChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    BTW, MotrocycleChick...what part of North Jersey are you from? I'm originally from Mahwah, Bergen County and my family thinks I am crazy for moving to the PA country too! LOL!

9. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

LMAO, it must come from moving to PA, cause my family (Toms River, Ocean County) thinks I'm insane too.

10. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I am Mass born, Jersey raised. I lived in South Orange (Newark) Piscataway (Plainfield) and Rockaway (Dover). The houses were in the first location, but my parents worked (ministers) in the next town over.
    I have a brother whom currently lives in Toms River, but lived in Mahwah for a few years. LOL! I SO remember the chickens running all over the roads in Mahwah. They kept getting hit.
    I always say I am from Rockaway.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by