Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi all!! I'm a newbie with two newly adopted twelve week old GLW hens. I adopted them from my brother-and sister-in-law. She has been giving me a lot of advice on raising chickens and she referred me here. I live in Berks County, PA. Any advice for my area? How will they winter? Should I provide a heat source or will they be ok without one? These are my first chickens ever and I'm going to see how things go with them before getting anymore, so it's just the two girls to keep each other warm... Are there any ailments that GLWs are susceptible to? I'd appreciate any advice so I can do right by my girls
smile.png
HI! I'm a Berks Countian as well!

So maybe I should get look into getting the silkies I want soon so that they can form more of a huddle this winter? I am planning on getting some anyway at some point... My sister-in-law has 4 silkies that are the sweetest little things and I am in love with them!
Ray has GLW and SLW just like my girls. That just saves me from wanting to have more of his birds "follow" me home and he is outside of Womelsdorf.

PAchickenlady, if you have not seen it yet, and your brother or S-i-l have not told you, the standard space for chickens (not bantams) is 4 sq feet inside, and 10 sq ft in the run. We ALL encourage chicken math here, but don't let us force you into 30 (30,000!) right now if you have no way to get a new coop(s) built that fast.
If it helps though, they do make chicken diapers so you can let them in the house.
No. I am not kidding.
Are you still reading, or are you checking the Internet?
Did you look? See any colors you like? Maybe get a matching bra or two?
lau.gif

Hi all!! I'm a newbie with two newly adopted twelve week old GLW hens. I adopted them from my brother-and sister-in-law. She has been giving me a lot of advice on raising chickens and she referred me here. I live in Berks County, PA. Any advice for my area? How will they winter? Should I provide a heat source or will they be ok without one? These are my first chickens ever and I'm going to see how things go with them before getting anymore, so it's just the two girls to keep each other warm... Are there any ailments that GLWs are susceptible to? I'd appreciate any advice so I can do right by my girls
smile.png

You will not have to give them a heat source. They are very winter hardy. In the hot summer you need fans, frozen soda bottles, frozen fruits, and veggies. Welcome!!!!!!!

Adding to the list of available roosters, is a young (hatched july 31) . Barred Cochin/Ancona Mix. This seems like it is gonna be a very large boy. Moving out of the brooder today....These extra roosters are always free to whomever would like to come have a look at them.....excess hens I am always willing to swap or work out deals, just pm me for directions.... I have extra silkies also both boys and girls, I do not have room in the flock for 16 silkies. Willing to swap these.(what you got).

And Patrick . I am ready for them barred rocks. let me know if you want to come have a look at the gold laced roo.

Hey guys, where is the other auction (not Green Dragon). I think it is held on a Tuesday in Central PA?
Root's market....They have very r ough handling of their birds, And remember to quarantine, I hav gotten some birds here, that I ended up culling just to be on the safe side....

Please don't think I'm crazy, but I had to post this! My 1 1/2 week old D'Uccle/Langshan chick started crowing this morning. Absolutely no mistaking it, standing tall, arching the neck, SCREEEECH!!! About 7 or 8 times in a row. Talk about cute, that baby is still so tiny, full of down, the only real feathers are in the wings. Isn't nature awesome? I did Google it and though not common, other people had similar stories, almost all of which were bantams. The bad part is I just found out I have 1 more roo.....UGH!
he.gif

Please don't think I'm crazy, but I had to post this! My 1 1/2 week old D'Uccle/Langshan chick started crowing this morning. Absolutely no mistaking it, standing tall, arching the neck, SCREEEECH!!! About 7 or 8 times in a row. Talk about cute, that baby is still so tiny, full of down, the only real feathers are in the wings. Isn't nature awesome? I did Google it and though not common, other people had similar stories, almost all of which were bantams. The bad part is I just found out I have 1 more roo.....UGH!
he.gif

Ok. Very sorry tht he is a boy. But I would LOVE to see that!!!

Root's market....They have very r ough handling of their birds, And remember to quarantine, I hav gotten some birds here, that I ended up culling just to be on the safe side....

Well, I am looking to sell not buy. But I hate the rough handling part.....

I don't think this is the one though. I think there is one in Central PA. Maybe even Centre County. RoPo.. do you remember the name?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom