Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Having a few issues with the broodies, they are fighting over the chicks, I lost a duckling that got caught in the middle of the fighting, so I took what seemed to be the calmest broody and put her in a large rabbit cage, gave her the chicks, at the time it was just the 4 turkey and a few ducks, ...well in the last 24 the rest of theducks keep hwatching, I keep putting them in with her as I find them........I hope I am not overloading her, she has 4 turkey and 11 ducks now.

This is the meany of the group, I had to get welding gloves out of the shop to handle her, she was not like this till after they started hatching,,,she charges me and draws blood.

Hope things calm down in the broody house after a few days

If you can give the meanie either a couple of eggs or a couple of chicks she will get preoccupied and settle...but I would give her a rabbit cage for the first few days. once the babies are a few days old they are much better at avoiding conflicts and the broody hens are a bit more settled also.
Broodies are wonderful but have issues which can definitely drive you crazy, especially if you have multiple birds involved who may not have gotten along to begin with.

I don't know if the name is different when you incubate them 15 days vs 18 days... maybe the name for it is different in her language. can you print off a picture from wickipedia to show her as an example?
That's a good idea. I will try that. Do I give her the eggs right out of the incubator or do I have to boil them or what? How much should I charge for them?

Back
Top Bottom