Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Chicky Dee

Chicky Dee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I wish you all were closer to me. I would hatch all the eggs you wanted. I will gladly give you all the chicks back too!! My husband is getting irritated that I keep looking at eggs for sale. If my stinkin chickens would lay some....[​IMG] Their appetites have really picked up, even though they free range everyday. Maybe that is a sign they will lay soon?? Anyone else experience this...Come on give me some hope here!!![​IMG]

For those of you that have orpingtons, how soon till you can sex them?

2. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    i would say they r getting close. also check their vent,u should be able to see them start to stretch out

3. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have large fowl breeds,,they may not lay until they are 6 to 8 months old,,, unless they are specifically layer breeds,,, red sexling, black star ( also sexlink) or comets...
    I have Cochins and Black Copper Marans hatched early this spring and Silver Laced Wyandottes that haven't started laying yet, and with the days getting shorter and colder, I wouldn't be surprised if laying isn't delayed even a bit more. I also have black star and buff orpington that I purchased as chicks mid to late May and they haven't started laying yet either.
    I also just hatched some more Copper Marans,,,, it will be interesting to see if they start laying earlier next spring because of they will mature when the days are getting longer,,,, I think that will have a positive effect on them laying earlier than chicks hatched in the spring and maturing in the fall.
    My mature Marans have stopped laying completely, probably due to the fall shorter days.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I will suggest that you add some meat protein to there diet. For there overall health its good, in moderation. I don't like to give them meat table scrapes because I get concerned about sour crop. I use puppy or kitten food without corn in it, or Farmers Helper. I prefer to use non-ruminant meat, mostly fish or fish meal. I give it as a treat. Meal worms are great!!!!!!! Just in case get some oyster shell to put out. They will only eat it if they need it. You can also by them some crickets from the pet store, that is very fun to watch!!!

5. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Some bloodlines sooner then others, usually 2 weeks. Good Luck! You can post pics for some help.

6. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    The are my two Orp pullets, love there fluffy butts!

[​IMG]

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    See, I have 3 babies, and I love the babies. The adults are a little "flighty" for me. So now, I have a total of 6. 5 BL and 1 white crested blue frizzle.

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

9. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

Thanks soo much for all your info!!! I think you said you were planning on going to Lebanon valley this weekend? Are you still planning that trip?? Was thinking about going too!!

10. Chicky Dee

Chicky Dee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    These guys were born on October 27th. The yellow one is a yellow cuckoo orpington and the other one is choc/lav orpington. In person I thought the yellow might be a girl and the other a boy, but the comb of the yellow looks super big in the pictures. The dark one has slightly thicker legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by