Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My prayers from Michigan to you guys. Hope all survived.
hugs.gif

I see I am not the only one who couldn't sleep last night. The house was creaking so bad. Power only flickered so I guess we got lucky. The destruction in New York is horrible. Everyone be safe while cleaning up.
hugs.gif

Chique's Chicks, how unbelievably generous of you.

PentaMom, sorry about your coop, such a bummer.

Wingstone, you are cracking me up with those Emoticons! My fav is the egg frying!

Sally, is that a SHARK?! We aren't able to get the news here....it's killing me.

hoping everyone has gotten through the night safe and sound, and your morning hasn't been too rough...feeling very fortunate right now, especially after looking at what others are living with at the moment.
*mama-I am very interested in feeding organics..."what they eat, I eat", at least that's my theory..and eggs are a HUGE part of my diet....anyway, been doing reading on the variations/mixes..can be abit overwhelming(alot of different opinions)..soy/no soy etc..and are there any local mills/farms that carry this stuff..still , I'm going to go that way...are you feeding organics now? would like to have more wisdom thrown my way..

*mama-I am very interested in feeding organics..."what they eat, I eat", at least that's my theory..and eggs are a HUGE part of my diet....anyway, been doing reading on the variations/mixes..can be abit overwhelming(alot of different opinions)..soy/no soy etc..and are there any local mills/farms that carry this stuff..still , I'm going to go that way...are you feeding organics now? would like to have more wisdom thrown my way..

Not doing so at the moment, but would like to shift that way. I agree with you on the whole "what they eat....".

Karen how much snow you getting?

Impatiently waiting for light so we can inspect the house, coops, sheds and check the fences..... like Jurassic Park

all roads are closed here, Hubby ain't going no where today. Hope my older sons and their girls are all OK.
Hi Sally,
It's raining slush here. Least it was last night. Today more rain. Not seeing any of the hard winds. They seem to have stopped south of the Laurel Ridge of the Alleghenies. Such a blessing. Might have had winds last night, if so, they weren't hard enough to wake me. Rain is the thing. In our narrow rural valley, Mill Creek comes down from the summit in 4 branches. We live just below where the 1st 2 branches join. In 1940, The Civilian Conservation Corps dug a flood control project across the street from our house and lined it with cut stone. Basically the joined creeks rush down the valley and just before they get to our house are split by the project into 2 creeks by a man-made island, then join again right after the creek makes a right turn across the street from our house. This keeps the creek from overflowing, tho now it is running quite high, still 8 feet below its banks. But further down the valley, the other 2 branches of Mill Creek join up one at a time. It's below where the 4th branch joins (just above Ligonier) and the trailer park, where we see flooding during rain this hard. I haven't been down there today, Try to stay out of their way when this wet, but suspect they are doing done sandbagging there. Once the creek gets thru Ligonier, then it joins up with the huge Loyalhanna Creek ( out on California, we would call it a river, smile) on the other side of Route 30 from Ligonier. Plenty of width there to run the water down the Loyalhanna Gorge and beyond. However, the low fields of corn which border the Loyalhanna across the Creek and downstream from Ligonier are probably completely flooded. Idlewild Park (located downstream from (and on the same side of the Creek as the cornfields) closed their HallowBoo celebration last weekend , early this year. The Loyalhanna goes right thru the Park. Hope the swimming pool complex did't get flooded out again. Guess the local TV news will tell us today, if it did.
So rain, rain, and more rain here. Supposed to rain clear thru Friday. Our septic is slow because the ground is saturated. Guess we will only flush once a day. Temp seems to be staying at about 38 degrees,
Soon as the storm ends, my poultry can fly in. That's a good thing about all this. I am so glad the winds didn't come here because we are having a lovely Fall. All the colors of trees kept their leaves because of the warmth this year. A snowfall now would have wreeked havoc with downed trees and limbs.
Best,
Karen in unincorporated Waterford, above Ligonier.
( If one thinks of the Ligonier Valley as the Boot of Italy, Ligonier is near the top of the boot and Waterford is in the tip of the toe).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom