Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so I am looking for suggestions on what to do with my babies when they hatch. My friend says she keeps a heat lamp on them in a plastic tote. I am planning to keep them in my garage. It's insulated so even on the coldest days, it's no different than my house temp. But I bought a heat lamp also for them and will use that. (I also bought a book~but I just wanted to see what you guys do that may work for me especially with the cold weather coming up..)

Thanks!

2. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

yum! I'll probably try this with my fake chicken! I'm always looking for different alternatives! Thanks!

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Mine are in the basement. I have a wooden brooder box. I've used a plastic tote as well when I had too many to fit in the brooder. I start with the heat lamp practically laying on the chicken wire top. Each week I pull it up until it's finally at the level of the ceiling. At that point, they go out into the garage/coop (old cinderblock garage) In the big coop I have a mini coop which could easily be a free-standing outdoor coop, it has a liftable top and a pop door on the front. I keep the babies in there till they acclimate to the big chickens.

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Woo hoo! Can't wait to see pictures!!

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I made a little brooder out of a covered cat litter box. Drilled out a hole and attached a lamp kit. Works out perfectly!

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I do the walmart plastic container too.... will snap a pic of set up....easy peasy and u prob already have some left over wire for top!

9. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Pentamom.... here is ONE of our brooders lol this is actually a very large plastic tote, dont know why it looks small lol
    SUGGEST that you get as big of one (floor) space as possible since you will be wintering them inside.
    They grow fast and you will be surprised by the room you need so they arent pooping on each other!
    I have a 75W bulb in mine as its in the lower level with a coal stove,
    we just set it up and moved two chicks that are now dry over into it, we are trying to get a good 95-98 temp at the one end of it.
    we made the top as much screen as we could for the kiddos to peek at them, a good idea is a pc of plexiglass along the front side of it for kiddos, but I am too cheap lol
    With the wire like this on the top I can use a pc of hard board insulation to cover some of the wire to keep more or less heat in. you can kinda see it in the pic to the right.
    I have a tiny bowl waterer so chicks dont drown but u can use a reg one just put clean marbles or stones in it to keep from drowning for a week. I also started using save-a-chick
    [​IMG]

I also use papertowl over the pine shavings so I can pinch and powder a bit of the chick starter on it so they feed better the first two days or so.
    but along with the chick feeder full of medicated chick starter. I like to keep pcs of plywood so they dont get shavings in water and food, as they get bigger and start to scratch around I will add a pc at a time to raise it as they will be bigger and can hop up higher too. A few weeks down the road I like to add a limb for them to roost, but just enough to get them off the ground/shavings.
    These two partridge brahma chicks hatched out on day 18!! stinkers and there are 13 more laying around in the cooler bator!

[​IMG]ha

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by