Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The most gorgeous color egg I have EVER gotten!!! New layer!!
But NOW I must have more easter eggers because I only get one blue a day and kids fight over it!!! LOL
How cool!!!!! I have had speckled, brown white, you name it colors but will ya look at that blue!!!!!!
And I was at the hospital and didnt even get to make her oatmeal for such a nice egg!!!
Tomorrow morning treats!!!

How many you setting??
thumbsup.gif
and how far did u get on coops?? pics pics!!!! Now u should come join in the bator thread!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs/1240

summary is here... INformation pulled from looooong thread lol https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
It is just a small bator. Only fits a dozen. So I got 13 in lol. Have the first of the big pallet coups up and in. Have the pics on the phone will upload tomorrow

Hi,
I've been musing on the Leonberger dog vs chicken problem our fellowlister is dealing with and something occurred to me. Most all these giant rare breeds that are family guardians are gentle, independent-thinking dogs. They tend to mature a bit later out of "puppy-hood thinking" than some of the other breeds. Need a gentle and understanding hand with a consistent touch to teach them obedience training. This is because they were created to be independent thinkers which could assess and act on a situation without direct control from their master's immediate presence.
Ok, so how does this relate to the dog vs chicken situation? Well many of these rare breed communities are very careful of their gene pool. The Leonberger community, as an example, is very Old School European in their very proper thinking as regards handling of the dogs in the breed. To that end, many breeders have very tight puppy contracts. Often a puppy contact will be pages long, legally ironclad, and can include a " forfeiture clause " . Some of these clauses can state the dog must be forfeited to the breeder if, during the dogs life, the new owner proves an unworthy home. Or acts such that the dog is put in harm's way, and things like that.
Get the sheriff to get the dogs pedigree. The breeder's name should be listed on it. Then contact the Leonberger Club of America and get the breeder's contact info. Do not tell the Club why you need it. Leonbergers are a small world and no reason to embarrass the breeder in front of the general community. Contact the breeder and let him/her know what has gone down. I can almost guarantee you these folk will be toast in the breeder's eye. If there is a forfeiture clause, this may remove the dog from the neighborhood without involving the law in a neighborhood dispute.
If I was the breeder of a dog which had been mishandled by a puppy owner like this (i.e ignoring the "breed temperament to be a family guardian" and shutting the dog alone in a garage during a storm when it just wanted to guard the family from danger...and the obvious lack of training), I sure would want to know about it and be able to intervene for the welfare of the puppy I bred. I would be grateful to someone who told me what was happening. We breeders remember the puppies we breed. Think about them thru their lifetimes and wonder how they are doing. Hope all our screening and interviews placed the dog in the best home possible.
Anyway,my thoughts on the subject. This incident was not the dog's fault. It was the owner's fault who put the dog and chickens in harm's way thru their mishandling and misunderstanding of this "gentle giant" breed.
Best,
Karen in Ligonier.

Last edited:
Sally Sunshine wrote:

Pentamom.... SUGGEST that you get as big of one (floor) space as possible since you will be wintering them inside.
--------
Amen Sally! Figure for large fowl chicks, one will want 1/2 sq. ft. per chick floor space till they are 2 weeks old.
Then 1 sq. ft. per chick till they are old enough to put outside.
Best,
Karen in Ligonier

Last edited:
Pentamom.... here is ONE of our brooders lol this is actually a very large plastic tote, dont know why it looks small lol
SUGGEST that you get as big of one (floor) space as possible since you will be wintering them inside.
They grow fast and you will be surprised by the room you need so they arent pooping on each other!
I have a 75W bulb in mine as its in the lower level with a coal stove,
we just set it up and moved two chicks that are now dry over into it, we are trying to get a good 95-98 temp at the one end of it.
we made the top as much screen as we could for the kiddos to peek at them, a good idea is a pc of plexiglass along the front side of it for kiddos, but I am too cheap lol
With the wire like this on the top I can use a pc of hard board insulation to cover some of the wire to keep more or less heat in. you can kinda see it in the pic to the right.
I have a tiny bowl waterer so chicks dont drown but u can use a reg one just put clean marbles or stones in it to keep from drowning for a week. I also started using save-a-chick
images

I also use papertowl over the pine shavings so I can pinch and powder a bit of the chick starter on it so they feed better the first two days or so.
but along with the chick feeder full of medicated chick starter. I like to keep pcs of plywood so they dont get shavings in water and food, as they get bigger and start to scratch around I will add a pc at a time to raise it as they will be bigger and can hop up higher too. A few weeks down the road I like to add a limb for them to roost, but just enough to get them off the ground/shavings.
These two partridge brahma chicks hatched out on day 18!! stinkers and there are 13 more laying around in the cooler bator!

ha

Thank You Sally! I'll buy a tote! My friend was saying how she used a tote and I was like...HUH?? What do you mean?! LMAO!! It all makes sense now. Now, when they get bigger they will be okay with the huge tote, or will I have to get another one? I bought 2 red heat lamp bulbs.

Thank You everyone!

I have my incubator hovering around 99.5-100 degreese..any helpful hints on what temp is best for hatching?

Get the sheriff to get the dogs pedigree. The breeder's name should be listed on it. Then contact the Leonberger Club of America and get the breeder's contact info. Do not tell the Club why you need it. Leonbergers are a small world and no reason to embarrass the breeder in front of the general community. Contact the breeder and let him/her know what has gone down. I can almost guarantee you these folk will be toast in the breeder's eye. If there is a forfeiture clause, this may remove the dog from the neighborhood without involving the law in a neighborhood dispute.

Karen in Ligonier.
Karen,

There is no point in removing the dog, I put the dog down when she came at me the second time. There is a twist. She said the dog was imported from Germany and she did have pups. According to the girl she said the pups may not survive. If I paid for this breed of dog and than paid to import, You bet your sweet tush I would be nursing those puppies best I could.,

Pentamom....if you still have the wood from the old coop it could be made into a brooder easily . I use totes also for the first 2 weeks, then move them to a bigger brooder that is made of wood with a tarp for a liner, then bedding on top the tarp, (tarp ia just to protect the wood from getting wet)...to make clean out easier..one of the side is removable so everything just rakes out instead of scooping it all out, when this brooder is empty the tarp comes out to be washed and disinfected.....this might be a little much if you only plan on doing this once, but if you find yourself hatching lots of chicks keeping things as easy and quick as possible is a must..

Chad....if you get any chicks from elvis give a holler...

Is anyone else in PA doing the new year's hatchalong ???? eggs I am still looking for are...isbar......buckeye....if you have these breeds I need eggs...

Is anyone else in PA doing the new year's hatchalong ???? eggs I am still looking for are...isbar......buckeye....if you have these breeds I need eggs...
fl.gif
two eggs are from Goldilocks so that would make a straight GLW, than two are from Cookie( cuckoo marans) So really interested to see what comes out.

Pentamom....if you still have the wood from the old coop it could be made into a brooder easily . I use totes also for the first 2 weeks, then move them to a bigger brooder that is made of wood with a tarp for a liner, then bedding on top the tarp, (tarp ia just to protect the wood from getting wet)...to make clean out easier..one of the side is removable so everything just rakes out instead of scooping it all out, when this brooder is empty the tarp comes out to be washed and disinfected.....this might be a little much if you only plan on doing this once, but if you find yourself hatching lots of chicks keeping things as easy and quick as possible is a must..

Ah! That's a good Idea!! I don't know how much I can salvage, so I'm gonna have to see what I'm capable of at this point for it....right now the huge tree is in it (still) and I can't remove it because we don't have a big enough chain saw. :-/ LOL!! Darn it!

Back
Top Bottom