Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I started portabella spores and I'm experimenting a bit. I have spores in coffee grounds as well. (chinese plastic take out containers work great!)

What are you using as a substrate?

2. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww!!! That's so cute!! True Love at it's best!! LOL!!!

Okay, so at Sally's suggestion, I've decided to take apart the broken coop and yesterday I finally got the umph to get motivated on this brooder. LOL! Since I don't know approx. how big I should make it, especially since I think I may end up breeding babies eventually, I think I made it big. LOL! I just measured it, and It's 74'X34" LOL! I am going to buy chicken wire and put it in the 2 holes on the sides of the door. I have 2 heat lamps that are clip on. So 1 will go where the overhang is, and the other where the food will be. All my materials were free obviously!! LOL!! I am happy I was able to salvage so much from that coop. I'm happy now my old coop is going to eventually house the babies. I am going to restain it, and make it look prettier..LOL! Right now to me and all my OCD-ness, looking at this is driving me crazy! LOL!! This is big enough for 11 babies, right? With this size how many babies do you think I can fit before moving them into the coop? Any other suggestions about my brooder would be awesome. Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pentamom

I wanted to actually try the whole portabella itself, in straight cow crap. LOL! I was trying it out that way, so I guess I'm not too surprised that it didn't work...I guess I thought mushroom would grow off of each other...Wrong! LOL!! I watched on youtube how a woman put the mushrooms on paper to collect the spores, cut up the paper mixed it in with the cow fertilizer (I can't spell manuer, maneur, LOL!!) with I think pine shavings...I don't remember. I want to re-do it because we eat A LOT of mushrooms. I am trying to self sustain us as much as possible here. LOL! At least all the stuff we eat a lot of anyway. I need to do tomatoes indoors also....so, so much I want to do now that I have ALL this property!

All Turkey People!!! My friend and I will be going in together for turkeys when it comes time, and I think the minimum order is 15~Who may be interested in going in on this?? I think I want to keep a breeding pair..I haven't decided yet, I am thinking about selling those eggs. Let me know if you guys are interested! :)

4. Pentamom

Careful with all those meat plans,,,In Pa you have to process on the farm and must be picked up by the consumer, some rules apply to the eggs also, but you can sell them the carton and give the eggs for free..

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is this for different sections of PA? Because where we live in Northampton county as long as we have under 2,000 chickens we can sell the eggs, and for processing meat we HAVE to have a separate building that you can fully sanitize from top to bottom stainless steel everything, or you get a butcher to do it. [/FONT]

5. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    wow he stood up for himself for once. and he gets more girls win win for him

6. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I got the catalog and am ordering the spores. to make it easier.

7. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    We got one of the mushroom kits for the kids awhile back. Oyster mushrooms. It was interesting. We still have the other side to open up...maybe one of these days...LOL

My weekend plans: Buy a new vacuum as it seems the kids have accomplished breaking ours...grrr....Merry Christmas to me! Make 36 eggs into deviled eggs for a Thanksgiving party tonight. Go to Wing's and get my turkey! Head to the party with a turkey in the backseat! LOL Clean this house as Fiancee's son and dil are coming up on Wednesday for the holiday....

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Oh and Penta....you should REALLY go into building! That's an amazing brooder!

9. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    Soooo excited I'm getting blue molted cochin pullets for Christmas!! Thinking this might be one of my best Xmas presents!! Also just picked up a larger outdoor rabbit hutch to put them in for now!! Im soo excited AHHHH!! So addicted to these fluffy butts!

10. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Penta, it looks like 18 babies will be good in there until 8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by