Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    New production pen is almost done, the pallet coup just needs shingles and trim work. The old coup is getting a face lift and gonna be a breeding coup for the new breeding pen. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Ok, I am trying to copy and paste, here goes... WOO HOO! It worked, Hope this helps..

[​IMG]
    Blarneyeggs

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm
    Hi! Did you mention on the NYD thread that you move the chicks outside at 6 weeks? And if so, can you tell me more? Are they moving to a heated or extremely well insulated coop, or barn? Thanks -Martha
    [​IMG]
    superchemicalgirl

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm
    I'll try to elaborate here. I don't use the 95 degree for a week, decrease by 5 degrees a week rule. I watch my chicks, and if they're all huddled up under the heat lamp, then I need to lower it to make it warmer. I push the envelope more when they start to feather in, maybe about day 4 or 5? They are now about 19 days old now and the brooder temp says 66.9 right under the heat lamp, the rest of the brooder is cooler. They're mostly feathered, now, except for their heads. I also make sure to feed them good food, I use Blue Seal Chick N Game Bird Starter, which is 22% protein. They grow feathers quickly with the higher protein, plus they get treats like eggs and freeze dried meal worms. They'll get that food til they move out to the coop. My regular flock eats 18% protein pellets (Turkey Grower from Blue Seal).
    Anyway, by week 4 they'll be completely weaned from the heat lamp. They've already moved from my warm living room to the cooler basement. Then the heat lamp will be removed, then they'll go out into the garage for a few days (which is only heated to slightly above freezing) and then into the coop. The coop is unheated but insulated, but has 3 windows that are always open and some vents, too. I won't have enough room to separate them into cages for a few days as a meet and greet with the established flock, but there's enough of them that one won't get picked on too much. They usually on their own will spend the first 2-3 days out in the coop huddled up together and won't leave, but then a few days later I'll come home and they're all out running around in the snow.

Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I am thinking I need to add some color to my LF eggs in the spring. Anyone have a nice mix of colored egg layers?

4. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]

I moved the grandchicks inside behind fence so they all could begin to socialize. lol

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Chad I love it!! It sure looks familiar!!! LOL wasnt it easy????? awwww !!!

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

7. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]
    I used a re-claimed louvered cabinet door as a egg door. [​IMG]

8. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Chad, very nice!

Mamma2My, I love the colored egg layers.... Here are my eggs I put the white one in the center to better see the other colors, it is a JUMBO egg laid by an overachiever (White Leghorn) I'd be happy to share eggs with you if and when I ever get anymore....The EE and OEs stopped laying all together, and on the same exact day. It's like they had a meeting and voted unanimously to stop laying. I'm really glad I hatched out 8 OEs before they shut down the factory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I used the smart siding from Home Depot. Roughly $26 /sheet and used 3 sheets over pallets. Than what I've done since is add foam insulation to the inside(on the inside of the skids) Just an FYI...it would have been easier to add the insulation before it had a roof on it.

10. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Sooo.. Total cost of the whole shebang.....right around $100. I had sheets of OSB but bought 2 anyway for the roof. The door trim was left over 1x4s. Did get a couple more from the cull lumber at HD. Already cut to 48" for $0.51 each. The girls took to the nesting area immediately. And all that is , is a small skid screwed to the inside it was 48" long and 28 wide. So I cull a 16" piece of plywood to fit , capped the front with a 1x4. than they also have an extra roosting spot in the front. Underneath I made a meet and greet area for the kids moving out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by