Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

2. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    A what would you do post ????
    about the silly silkie that decided to hatch chicks in this weather, only 1 chick made it, i was gonna move her to a pen by herself, but hubby thinks I should just leave her in the nest box she is in, this is not a big coop and is mainly used by the older birds about 10 of them go in this one at night..I agrre it would be warmer in there for momma and chick but a little worrisome the the chick will get trampled.........What would you do ?????

3. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Heather and Ray where you at I need your genetic expertise.....
    The meat breeding pen I have talked about getting together has it's first occupance today,,,,now which hen's to put with them ?
    [​IMG]
    looking to breed for meaty birds, not fast growing one's

4. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha! That's awesome!! Great Idea! Thank You!

5. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I love this flashlight! Rechargeable batteries may be a good idea! They are so bright, I love it!

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    YAY! I saw them on FB. Glad they are going to you!

7. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    My comets lol

8. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Hi, what are the ones down below? Columbian??? I think there are quite a few breed that fit the bill. Slow growing meaties??? Cochins, are a great table bird. They have a nice large breast, usually. Wyandottes are good meaties too. Orpingtons are OK. If you can find a Cornish, its awesome to make your own crosses. My cousin might do that. Jersey Giants!!!! take forever to grow................Sussex!!! There are a lot of good ones!!!

9. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BCMxComet The whites seem to be fluffing up well and have the body structure of the comets.

10. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I don't know your chickens, but a mom will get protective of her young. If it is only one she should have no problem keeping it safe. Remember, the baby will not be coming out from under her for a while. It will need her to keep it warm.

Pentamom, no one answered about what to do about the chicks at 8 weeks. I have asked this question too, and the answer I got from all sides is that they will be in your garage until Spring. Some add a heat lamp in the coop, but if the power goes out (you know? Like during Sandy) the chickens will be so used to the warmth, the cold will kill them. They would be better in the garage. You can switch the bulb to a 40 or 60 watt. Speaking of bulbs, are you using a red one? It cuts down on problems with pecking and anxiety. It also lets them sleep better. "BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!" as Gizmo said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by