Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Congrats Anne!! Here's hoping the others hatch without any issues! Speaking of hatching, Lockdown is in effect and for some reason no matter how much water I stick in the incubator it's still staying put at 57% humidity. I hope they're going to be okay

Thanks, I had that issue too. Try a new sponge fairly saturated with water and toss that in. Should help!

I see a little chip out of another one’s shell, so that’s a good sign! I only need two or three so that they won’t be lonely. Now comes the hard part of waiting...

Thanks, I had that issue too. Try a new sponge fairly saturated with water and toss that in. Should help!

I see a little chip out of another one’s shell, so that’s a good sign! I only need two or three so that they won’t be lonely. Now comes the hard part of waiting...
Already have sponge and sponge bits in the tray I have under the wire the eggs are sitting on and that's full up with water. I'm gonna go check the humidity in a minute.

With that much water in the gator I would suspect the accuracy of the readings also....and try adding humidity to the room the incubator is in, Ambient winter humidity in houses is notoriously low and makes the incubators control even more difficult.
Good news is we're finally up to 64%, probably took it a while to get to that point (probably because my mother keeps this part of the house so freaking cold. Ugh.) Thankfully so far the temperature has been steady and for now the humidity is okay.

The meeting with the girl scouts was a total success! Everyone loved meeting Romeo :)

Trying on the harness...It fits!

View attachment 1192784 View attachment 1192785

Walking on a leash is definitely different!

View attachment 1192786 View attachment 1192787

Meeting the girls!

View attachment 1192788 View attachment 1192789 View attachment 1192790 View attachment 1192791 View attachment 1192792 View attachment 1192793

Romeo was really rather nervous about the harness and leash at first but once everyone started showing up, he relaxed and really seemed to enjoy himself :)

Oh my goodness I LOVE this!

Here are some random pics from the flock today. Below is Cinnamon, she is one of my girls I got from Stake. She is a doll, but obviously having a rough molt...

View attachment 1195662
I posted on our local Nextdoor.com site to see if my neighbors had any pumpkins of hay/straw bales after the holiday. The straw bales that are sprouting or moldy will be used to make a wind-snow block of sorts around the run. I got a few small bales, and about 18 pumpkins! Any of them that were mushy or cracked will be served immediately. The rest that are in good shape will be put in the basement for later. They loved it!

View attachment 1195663

View attachment 1195664

View attachment 1195665
Here is my main Tom I got last year from @dheltzel . He looks gorgeous now that his new feathers have come in.

View attachment 1195666

Here is Tom with the Royal Palm I hatched from @Auroradream26 eggs. I think his name is Henry.

View attachment 1195667

:love Gorgeous flock! Love the idea of using NextDoor to ask for pumpkins & hay bales, very smart!

Hey everybody, just made a simple project today that will hopefully save me some feed. There are several videos on YouTube, but it is simply cutting holes into a trashcan, and then inserting a 3-5" 45 degree PVC piece. I thought there would be a learning curve, but my turkeys checked it right out, and all the other followed suit. Also, remember to elevate it. I just need to use some silicone around the PVC, and make some caps for the ends.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1196665

View attachment 1196666

View attachment 1196667

Yes! I'm planning on doing this tomorrow but with a lock top bin. We'll see how it goes!

Hi @Auroradream26 , thanks again for your advice with our Wheaten Marans pullet. I gave her a new sling to sit in last night because it's easier for her to eat that way now.

I called Dr. Sheryl Davidson at the poultry pathology place in Kennett Square today and they said I can bring her in anytime. I explained the symptoms and she conferred it sounds like Marek's. I'm to bring her in alive, they will euthanize her and then do an necropsy to confirm Marek's. She said if it is Marek's when I come in tomorrow she will give me the number of a place that will euthanize the rest of the flock and dispose of them responsibly.

Oh my gosh this was so heartbreaking to read. So sorry that you are going through this. I found comfort in the Dr's compassion where I sent my deceased pullet to for testing, as well as the comfort I found from folks on this site. :hugs

I just had to catch up because I don't get the forum notifications anymore!

I finally FINALLY got my flock moved into their new coop (a converted 8x8 shed). It was a lot of work but so worth it. I'm so happy that they can all be in a dry and comfortable shelter. When I introduced my 2 newest additions (Pumpkin & Oreo) they were essentially shunned from the previous coop by my original 3 hens and forced to sleep outside. I had tried multiple times to sneak them in at night, always to end up with my bossy hen pecking them out, or my rooster squawking bloody murder and running back to their "roost" corner outside, making me feel terrible. Now everyone sleeps together inside and I couldn't be happier.

20171104_145017.jpg

20171108_113406.jpg

20171021_152708.jpg

20171108_113400.jpg

20171127_154517.jpg

20171203_075435.jpg

20171203_165930.jpg

20171203_162757.jpg

20171203_162808.jpg

Aside from canvas frames, I've never seriously built anything before in my life. I searched throughout this site, Google and YouTube for instructions for building pieces, and aside from some help from my fiancée and his dad with the run, I built all of the inside "accessories" entirely by myself. What an awesome experience!

I hope you and your flocks are all doing well! :jumpy

Oh my goodness I LOVE this!

:love Gorgeous flock! Love the idea of using NextDoor to ask for pumpkins & hay bales, very smart!

Yes! I'm planning on doing this tomorrow but with a lock top bin. We'll see how it goes!

Oh my gosh this was so heartbreaking to read. So sorry that you are going through this. I found comfort in the Dr's compassion where I sent my deceased pullet to for testing, as well as the comfort I found from folks on this site. :hugs

I just had to catch up because I don't get the forum notifications anymore!

I finally FINALLY got my flock moved into their new coop (a converted 8x8 shed). It was a lot of work but so worth it. I'm so happy that they can all be in a dry and comfortable shelter. When I introduced my 2 newest additions (Pumpkin & Oreo) they were essentially shunned from the previous coop by my original 3 hens and forced to sleep outside. I had tried multiple times to sneak them in at night, always to end up with my bossy hen pecking them out, or my rooster squawking bloody murder and running back to their "roost" corner outside, making me feel terrible. Now everyone sleeps together inside and I couldn't be happier.

Aside from canvas frames, I've never seriously built anything before in my life. I searched throughout this site, Google and YouTube for instructions for building pieces, and aside from some help from my fiancée and his dad with the run, I built all of the inside "accessories" entirely by myself. What an awesome experience!

I hope you and your flocks are all doing well! :jumpy

Wow! What an amazing coop! You did a great job. I had never built anything before I got started with chickens, and I built their first little coop. For my second coop at my new house, I bought a used shed and put a roof on it. I too only learned how from YouTube, but it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom