Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Every year, we're all going to die from Salmonella. :rolleyes::confused:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-warns-backyard-flocks-sicken-people-in-44-states/

I think I may have lost one of my Bourbon reds. She didn't come back to the coop last night, and she didn't show up this morning. It was raining pretty hard, so she may still be lurking somewhere.

@Auroradream26 Do you have any more fertile turkey eggs? I'd like to hatch some more out for myself and others, but I can't find where my girls will be laying. I should be putting up fencing this weekend, so that they cannot free range the whole yard.

yep, we all get attached to our poultry and they have to try to scare us away from that :tongue
As far as turkey eggs, I haven't had any in a couple weeks now. The girls are done for the season I think. Everyone seems to have joined in one the parenting of the two poults out there now. I can let you know when they start laying again though if you want some eggs late winter/next spring.

Nerd level 1000. I put a tracker on my turkey. I had a couple extras from work. I put it on with a zip tie, with enough looseness to fit a finger underneath. I may change that, but she has something for now.

View attachment 1480270

lol, I've joked around with hubby about wanting to do this with my birds. Wouldn't it be awesome to make some small leg bands with trackers that showed you where they are and if you want, where they've wandered throughout the day? You could attach your tracker to a turkey saddle.... ;)

Hi! South Central PA checking in!
I'm in search of white/silver laced Wyandotte bantam hens or hatching eggs oi anyone knows of a place close to me that sells them.
I also have a Silver Duckwing Old English bantam cockerel I need to rehome. The Wyandotte rooster is twice his size and the poor little guy doesn't stand a chance. He is adorable, friendly and one goofy little guy that makes me laugh all the time. I despise the thought of getting rid of him but he has no place in my flock and I can't bear the thought of keeping him in a quarantine cage his whole life. He grew up in the house in the large brooder I have because he got injured by the other rooster, from playing with the dogs and their squeaky toys his crow is a mixture of chicken and squeaky toy sound. He is very talkative and friendly. If you need cheered up, just give him a small handful of scratch and he goes nuts, bounces up and down, makes all kinds of funny sound. His name is Sir Peepsalot. Approx 4.5 months old
20180725_130548.jpg

Hi! South Central PA checking in!
I'm in search of white/silver laced Wyandotte bantam hens or hatching eggs oi anyone knows of a place close to me that sells them.
I also have a Silver Duckwing Old English bantam cockerel I need to rehome. The Wyandotte rooster is twice his size and the poor little guy doesn't stand a chance. He is adorable, friendly and one goofy little guy that makes me laugh all the time. I despise the thought of getting rid of him but he has no place in my flock and I can't bear the thought of keeping him in a quarantine cage his whole life. He grew up in the house in the large brooder I have because he got injured by the other rooster, from playing with the dogs and their squeaky toys his crow is a mixture of chicken and squeaky toy sound. He is very talkative and friendly. If you need cheered up, just give him a small handful of scratch and he goes nuts, bounces up and down, makes all kinds of funny sound. His name is Sir Peepsalot. Approx 4.5 months oldView attachment 1480955

Welcome form Cambria County! How far are you from State College? Nittany Wyandottes is around that area and might have what your're looking for. Sorry I can't help with the little guy though. Have you tried keeping him out in the flock? I once had a little old English pair that lived with my main flock. They barely came up to the knees of my big boys but lived quite happily amoung them.

Busy week. Got a husky pup on Saturday. The peeps escape the run now. They haven't figured out how to get in the run when it is bedtime, so husband has been letting the door open. Whole yard is fenced so it isn't too much of an issue and they will learn soon enough. He is doing chicken care at the moment because I broke my arm at the top of the humerus on Monday. Typing one handed is hard.

Busy week. Got a husky pup on Saturday. The peeps escape the run now. They haven't figured out how to get in the run when it is bedtime, so husband has been letting the door open. Whole yard is fenced so it isn't too much of an issue and they will learn soon enough. He is doing chicken care at the moment because I broke my arm at the top of the humerus on Monday. Typing one handed is hard.
:hugs

Congratulations on your new fur baby! Makes me miss my Dreamy. She's been gone for a little over a year now. She drove me nuts, but I loved that dog.

I'm sorry to hear about your arm. I hope you heal up fast!

Pretty pup!
I've heard Huskies have a strong hunting instinct and can never really be trusted around small animals like chickens. You probably know that, but I thought I'd mention it so you don't discover it from experience.

x2, EXTREMELY high prey drive. My Dreamy took a lot of training to be able to tolerate our cats. She was still fairly young though then. We never could trust her to be anywhere near the chickens though. We learned that one the hard way when she broke into a brooder and killed every one of our fist babies within 5 minutes. Even at almost 13 years old, right before she passed, she would still lunge and try to get any of the flock if they ventured too close to her while she was out.

Welcome form Cambria County! How far are you from State College? Nittany Wyandottes is around that area and might have what your're looking for. Sorry I can't help with the little guy though. Have you tried keeping him out in the flock? I once had a little old English pair that lived with my main flock. They barely came up to the knees of my big boys but lived quite happily amoung them.
Tried but king Arthur grabs him by the throat and body slams him into the ground. Just not going to happen I'm afraid. And I'm not far from state college, thanx for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom