Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Congratulations on your new fur baby! Makes me miss my Dreamy. She's been gone for a little over a year now. She drove me nuts, but I loved that dog.

I'm sorry to hear about your arm. I hope you heal up fast!

x2, EXTREMELY high prey drive. My Dreamy took a lot of training to be able to tolerate our cats. She was still fairly young though then. We never could trust her to be anywhere near the chickens though. We learned that one the hard way when she broke into a brooder and killed every one of our fist babies within 5 minutes. Even at almost 13 years old, right before she passed, she would still lunge and try to get any of the flock if they ventured too close to her while she was out.

Not trying to start any trouble but my female husky/hunting dog mix, Gracie Lou can be left outside all day with them and no problems, the big boy Ozzy is an Alaskan Shepard and I have had him bring me injured baby bunnies and chipmunks for me to doctor up. He is the kindest soul I've ever met in a dog, he's only ever killed 1 thing in his life and that was a squirrel that bit his girlfriend Gracie in the face. I had a better pic of Ozzy with them but can't find it. They do little parades once in awhile, they take turns following each other around the yard. I have zero fear that he would harm a feather on them. I could coat them in gravy and tie treats to their feet and he wouldn't hurt them. His only complaint is they won't let him smell their butt. He'll lay down and they will lay down all around him and sun with him. Gracie does get a little antsy around them at times, she whimpers a few times, gave chase to Peepsalot one time but wasn't real serious about it. A small touch up with the training collar and she won't go near them now. I was very fortunate with my dogs. I get tons of complements in public about their good behavior. My trick, if you can call it that. Was that from the time they were pups,I trained them as a mother and alpha would in the wild, teeth nips to the ears, when they got into their teens and challenged me, I dropped to all fours got them by the throat with my teeth and pinned them into submissive while growling ferociously. They are pack animals, with pack instincts and it only took one time with each of them and they've never challenged me since. Never had to hit them , only took a week to train on underground fence, their danger command is look out and they run straight to me. I couldn't ask for better dogs, they know I'm the boss and love me and won't do anything to make me mad,c except toilet paper lol, just so much fun the growling is worth it I guess.
20180606_081618.jpg
this is Ozzy with Sir Peepsalot when he got injured, he was so sad that the bird was injured, if peeps would cry in pain from his injuries Ozzy would wake me up and take me too him so I could put more Vetyricin on his wounds and rub his belly till he went back to sleep.
20180606_081618.jpg
20180717_204600.jpg

And the final photo is Gracie Lou, aka booboo. I love this picture, that look on her face is priceless. "Daa-aad can a pretty please eat just one, I'll be a good girl I promise, just one please" I did have her a lot better with them, but I had a really psycho welsummer cockerel that attacked everything from the big rooster to their hens to me, I tried breaking him but it would only take for a day and he was a jerk again. So I used him for guinea pig. I sat her in my lap and had him in the other hand and tried to have a face to face, I figured if she chomped him no biggie. So it was going ok, I even had her to the point where she'd hold stl and let him perch on her back, when A**hole (his actual name) decided, ok just gonna Bite this here dog for no good reason and she shook him off and growled at him which made him do the rooster drop kick maneuver to her face which prompted a very vicious sounding snarl. At which point A##hole flies to me for what I thought was protection. Oh my NO he's now biting the crap out of me and digging his claws into my hands... Needless to say he didn't finish the day. Figured if he was that damn crazy at 3 months old there was no hope for him at all. Gracie was perfectly adjusted to the birds before that now she's a little leary but even if she gets a wild hair, I don't clip wings and banties are great flyers.

Welcome form Cambria County! How far are you from State College? Nittany Wyandottes is around that area and might have what your're looking for. QUOTE]

Well I just checked their website and their prices are absolutely a big fat NO! They don't sell hatching eggs , $15 for a peep and they aren't even full bred, plus $60 shipping and they are only 30 miles from me... I think they are just a little bit full of themselves.
But I truly do appreciate you taking the time to let me know about them. Thank you!

Not trying to start any trouble but my female husky/hunting dog mix, Gracie Lou can be left outside all day with them and no problems, the big boy Ozzy is an Alaskan Shepard and I have had him bring me injured baby bunnies and chipmunks for me to doctor up. He is the kindest soul I've ever met in a dog, he's only ever killed 1 thing in his life and that was a squirrel that bit his girlfriend Gracie in the face. I had a better pic of Ozzy with them but can't find it. They do little parades once in awhile, they take turns following each other around the yard. I have zero fear that he would harm a feather on them. I could coat them in gravy and tie treats to their feet and he wouldn't hurt them. His only complaint is they won't let him smell their butt. He'll lay down and they will lay down all around him and sun with him. Gracie does get a little antsy around them at times, she whimpers a few times, gave chase to Peepsalot one time but wasn't real serious about it. A small touch up with the training collar and she won't go near them now. I was very fortunate with my dogs. I get tons of complements in public about their good behavior. My trick, if you can call it that. Was that from the time they were pups,I trained them as a mother and alpha would in the wild, teeth nips to the ears, when they got into their teens and challenged me, I dropped to all fours got them by the throat with my teeth and pinned them into submissive while growling ferociously. They are pack animals, with pack instincts and it only took one time with each of them and they've never challenged me since. Never had to hit them , only took a week to train on underground fence, their danger command is look out and they run straight to me. I couldn't ask for better dogs, they know I'm the boss and love me and won't do anything to make me mad,c except toilet paper lol, just so much fun the growling is worth it I guess.
View attachment 1481790 this is Ozzy with Sir Peepsalot when he got injured, he was so sad that the bird was injured, if peeps would cry in pain from his injuries Ozzy would wake me up and take me too him so I could put more Vetyricin on his wounds and rub his belly till he went back to sleep.
View attachment 1481790 View attachment 1481793
And the final photo is Gracie Lou, aka booboo. I love this picture, that look on her face is priceless. "Daa-aad can a pretty please eat just one, I'll be a good girl I promise, just one please" I did have her a lot better with them, but I had a really psycho welsummer cockerel that attacked everything from the big rooster to their hens to me, I tried breaking him but it would only take for a day and he was a jerk again. So I used him for guinea pig. I sat her in my lap and had him in the other hand and tried to have a face to face, I figured if she chomped him no biggie. So it was going ok, I even had her to the point where she'd hold stl and let him perch on her back, when A**hole (his actual name) decided, ok just gonna Bite this here dog for no good reason and she shook him off and growled at him which made him do the rooster drop kick maneuver to her face which prompted a very vicious sounding snarl. At which point A##hole flies to me for what I thought was protection. Oh my NO he's now biting the crap out of me and digging his claws into my hands... Needless to say he didn't finish the day. Figured if he was that damn crazy at 3 months old there was no hope for him at all. Gracie was perfectly adjusted to the birds before that now she's a little leary but even if she gets a wild hair, I don't clip wings and banties are great flyers.

That's awesome! You have great training techniques. I know they can be trained with time and a lot of patience :)

I'm sorry Nittany Wyandottes didn't work out for you. It's been about 4 years since I got two chicks from her and I didn't remember them being so much. I'm not sure if you'd be interested or not but I'm going to be doing some experimental breedings in the spring of everything works out. I have one lone blue laced red Wyandotte that I plan to pair with a blue orpington to see what the results end up being....

That's awesome! You have great training techniques. I know they can be trained with time and a lot of patience :)

I'm sorry Nittany Wyandottes didn't work out for you. It's been about 4 years since I got two chicks from her and I didn't remember them being so much. I'm not sure if you'd be interested or not but I'm going to be doing some experimental breedings in the spring of everything works out. I have one lone blue laced red Wyandotte that I plan to pair with a blue orpington to see what the results end up being....
Should be an interesting combo.

Patience is definitely a necessity with sled breeds, they are very food oriented so lots of training treats helps, whee if it's just a tiny piece of kibble to them a treat is a treat. I love these breeds the only drawback is the hair. It your going to dedicate yourself to these dogs you must love the taste of dog hair and be willing to accept the fact that you will never have anything that isn't either covered in it or full of it. Couple times a year you have to flip the fridge and the deep freeze and clean the coils. Spend a small fortune on toys. They are extremely curious and love to see what's inside the toy...

My mix only tore apart faux fleece. Somehow, someway he never harmed another animal or child (he let a 1-yr-old win tug-of-war) or item. He was never happier than when he was pulling my nephew on a sled.

Patience is definitely a necessity with sled breeds, they are very food oriented so lots of training treats helps, whee if it's just a tiny piece of kibble to them a treat is a treat. I love these breeds the only drawback is the hair. It your going to dedicate yourself to these dogs you must love the taste of dog hair and be willing to accept the fact that you will never have anything that isn't either covered in it or full of it. Couple times a year you have to flip the fridge and the deep freeze and clean the coils. Spend a small fortune on toys. They are extremely curious and love to see what's inside the toy...

Oh the hair. I have a picture of Dreamy when she was blowing her coat. I had just brushed her out and I had a pile of hair next to her, as big as her lol. She used to hate when I'd start pulling out the little clumps of fluff that would start showing up on her sides.

Back
Top Bottom