Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

How is she doing? Is she going to stop in anytime?

She sounds really good. Family matters have kept her offline but she was really happy to know we were thinking of her. I would expect her to stop back in soon, even if she can't be as active for a while. I will be sending her eggs in the morning.

2798C0F6-0948-4408-B36B-7A7DCED7564F.jpeg

Maggie hatched out chick #2 today, with an assist from me. Poor baby had her egg accidentally crushed by another hen trying to lay in the nest box. Thank God I was there to free her from the collapsed shell. ❤️✝️🌹 Found another egg broken, it was only half developed, poor thing. This is Maggie’s (and my) first brood, so naturally it’s a staggered hatch. She has plenty of food in the box for herself and her chicks, so I don’t know how long she’s going to stay on the nest. 3 eggs left.
8A0E9990-80C9-4E26-9572-E8519773FD67.jpeg

Speaking of eggs, today the girls laid in the nest boxes. One SPR, but I’m expecting more SPR eggs in the next few days. I’m down to one hen brooding the chicks.
That seems to be the way they go... hens drop out as weeks go on, sometimes it is just that they roost up at night with the rest of the flock and return to daytime mommy mode and sometimes they break completely. One always seems to be dedicated to staying with them till 7 or 8 weeks though.

Back
Top Bottom