Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi! I have been lurking around BYC for the last 15ish years, but never really posted much. Just read. I have had chickens on and off over those 15 years. I thought maybe I would stop lurking and say hello from north central, PA.

We have no chickens right now, but I ordered 23 pullets from Meyer to hatch on June 6th. It's my first time getting chicks in the mail and my first time for much variety of breeds. I ordered 6 rare assorted, 2 salmon faverolles, 1 black jersey giant, 2 different colored Polish, 2 cookies and cream, 1 olive egger, 1 cream legbar, 4 Easter Eggers, 1 Welsummer and 2 white cochin. We're excited to see what we get. I have a 2 year old and she is convinced all the chickens will be named Baby Calf and Cow. Though my husband has her almost convinced to name one Egg Pooper.

We'll be rebuilding our coop and making an enclosed run instead of free ranging this time.
Anyway. Hi!

Hi! I have been lurking around BYC for the last 15ish years, but never really posted much. Just read. I have had chickens on and off over those 15 years. I thought maybe I would stop lurking and say hello from north central, PA.

We have no chickens right now, but I ordered 23 pullets from Meyer to hatch on June 6th. It's my first time getting chicks in the mail and my first time for much variety of breeds. I ordered 6 rare assorted, 2 salmon faverolles, 1 black jersey giant, 2 different colored Polish, 2 cookies and cream, 1 olive egger, 1 cream legbar, 4 Easter Eggers, 1 Welsummer and 2 white cochin. We're excited to see what we get. I have a 2 year old and she is convinced all the chickens will be named Baby Calf and Cow. Though my husband has her almost convinced to name one Egg Pooper.

We'll be rebuilding our coop and making an enclosed run instead of free ranging this time.
Anyway. Hi!
Welcome from Centre county! Great choices for pets. I have a salmon faverolle from Meyer (actually mypetchickens, but they come from the same place), and she is so comic! I cannot stop to laugh at her. Salmon faverolles from Meyer are darker than the standard though, but she is still so cute and funny. My only complain is all my chicks having respiratory diseases out of the box. The salmon faverolle still cough and sneeze all the time. I guess it's from the Dorking, since they get rid of the Dorking breed this year.

I'm pretty familiar with the area. Gilbertsville, boyertown, quakertown down to Philly. Currently in Feasterville First time chicken owner. Don't even have them in a coop yet. Thanks for reaching out! Tell me about your stock!!
You will want his Legbars, Welbars, and Oliver eggers instead of the hatchery chicks. They are far better quality! I used to drive 3h one way to get chicks form Dennis, but he will ship them this year. :D

Ventracs Rock! Someday when I grow up, lol...

Sorry about the allergies, I guess that is something I lucked out on missing, I get some minor, but nothing like others get. My step-dad actually had to wear a full face mask respirator (looked like an old military gas mask) to mow the field and when we baled hay or moved it around in the barn.
Grass has taken off with a vengeance the last 2 weeks. Once a week mowing actually leaves it shaggy well before day 7.
Hopefully you are feeling better soon!

I would love to have one myself. My neighbor has one. They're so nice! The one at work is down right now... something broke on the deck so I'm stuck using the ancient, zero turn hustler. That thing is getting replaced this year and is held together with hopes and dreams lol. As far as the allergies go, DH keeps bugging me to wear a mask but I can't breathe with one on so I don't. I'm mostly just exhausted after work now. Only 1 more day of mowing this week since Friday is supposed to be a washout.

I've never heard of that I'll have to look that up

WAY on the opposite side of the state from you lol. I'm near Altoona, Ebensburg, Punxsutawney and Johnstown

Anyway. Hi!

Welcome, from Cambria County!

Welcome from Centre county! Great choices for pets. I have a salmon faverolle from Meyer (actually mypetchickens, but they come from the same place), and she is so comic! I cannot stop to laugh at her. Salmon faverolles from Meyer are darker than the standard though, but she is still so cute and funny. My only complain is all my chicks having respiratory diseases out of the box. The salmon faverolle still cough and sneeze all the time. I guess it's from the Dorking, since they get rid of the Dorking breed this year.
Thanks for the welcome! What bummer all your chicks ended up with respiratory diseases! At the moment we're just looking for pet quality for sure. We're not going to be showing or anything. Need some entertainment, eggs and pest control. I was looking for fun feathers, generally known to be calm and some fun egg colors. Breeds I can't get at the local TSC. I have a friend breeding Marans and trying to reach SOP, so I told her if she has any pullets she isn't going to breed back, I'd buy a couple. Maybe we'll get some fun dark shells.
Welcome, from Cambria County!
THANKS!!

Thanks for the welcome! What bummer all your chicks ended up with respiratory diseases! At the moment we're just looking for pet quality for sure. We're not going to be showing or anything. Need some entertainment, eggs and pest control. I was looking for fun feathers, generally known to be calm and some fun egg colors. Breeds I can't get at the local TSC. I have a friend breeding Marans and trying to reach SOP, so I told her if she has any pullets she isn't going to breed back, I'd buy a couple. Maybe we'll get some fun dark shells.

THANKS!!
I have a splash marans from Meyer. She loves to cuddle! Will sleep on my lap. But her eggs are light to medium brown. My Welbars from Dennis lay very dark brown eggs with a shinny finish. And he has Reese line Legbars that are much prettier than the hatchery legbars and lay lots of blue eggs.

I have a splash marans from Meyer. She loves to cuddle! Will sleep on my lap. But her eggs are light to medium brown. My Welbars from Dennis lay very dark brown eggs with a shinny finish. And he has Reese line Legbars that are much prettier than the hatchery legbars and lay lots of blue eggs.
Excellent to know! I'll have to keep that in mind for my next go around! I might have been looking at Dennis's website, someone posted a site of a member with some beautiful Welbars. Do you have a link? At some point my husband will cut me off, but I am sure down the line I will need to add some more :)

Excellent to know! I'll have to keep that in mind for my next go around! I might have been looking at Dennis's website, someone posted a site of a member with some beautiful Welbars. Do you have a link? At some point my husband will cut me off, but I am sure down the line I will need to add some more :)
Welcome from Indiana county!

And beware, Chicken math is real!!:barnie:lau

Back
Top Bottom