Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I finally had the chance to clean out the small coop and move the silver spangled spitzhaubens and all the chicks from @dheltzel outside. I know they're going to love it. They're turning in to a gorgeous little group! I'm just going to dump a bunch of pics now lol.

20220915_150720.jpg
20220915_150724.jpg
20220915_150740.jpg
20220915_150816.jpg
20220915_150820.jpg
20220915_150825.jpg
20220915_150836.jpg
20220915_150838.jpg

Might be possible in 2 or 3 years. I would need to fix that in my cuckoo line so I can get silkied sexlinks.
If you know which hen laid the egg, it would be much easier, since she is a cuckoo ameraucana. I guess she is lavender? One of my lavender chick looks like her tail feather is not very smooth. I wonder if she has some silkied gene.

If you know which hen laid the egg, it would be much easier, since she is a cuckoo ameraucana. I guess she is lavender? One of my lavender chick looks like her tail feather is not very smooth. I wonder if she has some silkied gene.
Lavender Ams are mostly all affected by a gene that makes the feathers fray. It is a big drawback for showing lavenders (called self-blue in shows). I suspect you are seeing the results of that gene, as silkied seems to be completely recessive.
The mother was certainly one of the cuckoo ams in my flock. Good chance that several of them have the gene. If I look for it, I can spot the silkied chicks quite young, maybe a week of age. I might put that same pen back together next spring and hatch a lot of chicks, keeping any that are silkied, including males. The males will only be single barred, but when crossed to a silkied sister, all chicks will be silkied and half will be single barred. Or I could put them with a smooth, but cuckoo, hen and half the male offspring will be double barred and all will carry the silkied gene. The first pairing makes more sense, as the pen I really want in the end is silkied, single barred pullets and a silkied, non-barred cockerel.

I love working out the genetics in my head for future breeding.

Lavender Ams are mostly all affected by a gene that makes the feathers fray. It is a big drawback for showing lavenders (called self-blue in shows). I suspect you are seeing the results of that gene, as silkied seems to be completely recessive.
The mother was certainly one of the cuckoo ams in my flock. Good chance that several of them have the gene. If I look for it, I can spot the silkied chicks quite young, maybe a week of age. I might put that same pen back together next spring and hatch a lot of chicks, keeping any that are silkied, including males. The males will only be single barred, but when crossed to a silkied sister, all chicks will be silkied and half will be single barred. Or I could put them with a smooth, but cuckoo, hen and half the male offspring will be double barred and all will carry the silkied gene. The first pairing makes more sense, as the pen I really want in the end is silkied, single barred pullets and a silkied, non-barred cockerel.

I love working out the genetics in my head for future breeding.
It’s really good to know! Actually, both lavender girls’s feathers are a little rough, but one has much less feathers so it’s hard to tell. I remember silkied gene is recess, but they look so different from the two black girls, who have beautiful smooth feathers. I was confused but understand now. These girls are still very friendly and love to cuddle, although one black ameraucana developed a bad habit to bite my hand when she was excited. She really acts like a puppy! Always wants to play and gets excited easily.

although one black ameraucana developed a bad habit to bite my hand when she was excited.

I have a turkey like that... her name is Nibbles lol. She can't help herself and will bite for love and attention. She has learned that I don't like it though and if I'm paying attention, she'll bite at the air in front of me instead lol

I have a turkey like that... her name is Nibbles lol. She can't help herself and will bite for love and attention. She has learned that I don't like it though and if I'm paying attention, she'll bite at the air in front of me instead lol
I was thinking if I says no, maybe she will know to stop. I cannot help to feel that I have a new puppy, not a bird.

Still wondering if anyone would be interested in a 5 month old Easter Egger roo. We have a crow collar on him to turn down his volume but I’m not sure how much longer we can get away with having him before the neighbors complain. Any leads or takers would be appreciated!
58578D11-3B59-46AD-9345-C7CB949B2BDF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom