Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Welcome! Near Indiana, PA here

2. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I feed my birds the same food from hatch on. I "adjust" the protein and fat levels using things like BOSS, Calf-Manna, oats, cracked corn, flax seed, dried fruit, nuts, cat food, fish food, parrot seed mixes, table scraps, and 4 hours free range. They have free choice Purina Flock Blocks, grit, and oyster shell. I put the barley and burlap bags in all my waterers, keeps away the slim and kill germs naturally. I never give apple cider vinegar. I spot worm or medicate. I never treat the whole flock. The makes resistance.

I feed Allied Nutrition (ADM) Pen-Pals Meatmaker crumble. I never give the chicks medicated feed. Chickens are omnivores, this feed has meat in it. This is one of the most important things. It is not overloaded with soy. Soy can cause infertility on the hens side, and it will make your meat bird flesh tough. You want to make sure you feed has less then 1% methionine, this is an artificial lab created protein. It can be linked to infertility in concentrations above the 1%. Another very important thing is no extra calcium for the roosters. It can kill the kidneys............. This food is high in fat, lower in carbs. They have more vigor, look gorgeous without being in a pen, and molt quickly.

I searched for 3 years for a food that works great, for the chicken kids. You also have to consider price, availability, and the contents. Its $21.00 per 50lb bag, it only available through Herr's Feed Mill in Jonestown, and Grantville, that I know of. There is so much to consider. I think this feed covers the big items on my want list:. fertility, finish, and they actually like it! It is the only feed that all the birds have actually liked, I have a lot less waste!

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Nothin happening in the bator, cept that Frenchy is still rocking a bit

5. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

I steam the bathroom up real good, help for a few seconds, slather dry membrane in ointment, back in bator. Give about 1/2 hour, repeat.

Heather, this is amazing info, THANK YOU.

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Can you elaborate a little on this? Like specifically what/how you do it?

I found a place that sells that feed about 45 minutes from me.. I may have to give it a try....

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    SO....

I was candling eggs yesterday and I dropped one of my calicos! [​IMG] GRRRR!!!! I quickly coated the cracks in wax and popped it back in the bator. I see movement in there today, so I haven't given up on it just yet.

[​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Quote:

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by