Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

i was thinking about this and thought: 2 Poultry Loving people in a relationship could be disastrous. We really need that significant other to reign us in from time to time or it would be chaos. Having said that, my DH is slacking at his 'reigning in'. I asked once (earlier this year), why don't you ever complain about all the hatching? And he says, 'I figured when it got to be too much, you'd stop'. Uhhh, seriously? No wonder we are 'overrun with chickens'.
Wait till I start hatching these Goaties out! Hope he figures out how to stop me there or things could get really ugly. BTW my Lily (alpha goat) has a date this week, so YAY! Let it begin.
The sun is up, one minute earlier, Thank You Winter Solstice! Time to get on the chores
Just how many is overrun ??? I know there's more here than I expected to have, figure I'll thin them out early spring when prices get better to help with the feed bill. Most have just begun to lay, can't see giving them away for next to nothing at this point.
How many do you have Blarney ??? If you'd rather not count,,,, I understand,,,, I don't count either......LOL

One little Blue Cochin hatched a day ago,,, nothing more from the remaining 4 viables,,, not feeling good about this,
barnie.gif
,, may have to look for a companion chick or two..........SALLY ???

Last edited:
i was thinking about this and thought: 2 Poultry Loving people in a relationship could be disastrous. We really need that significant other to reign us in from time to time or it would be chaos. Having said that, my DH is slacking at his 'reigning in'. I asked once (earlier this year), why don't you ever complain about all the hatching? And he says, 'I figured when it got to be too much, you'd stop'. Uhhh, seriously? No wonder we are 'overrun with chickens'.

I hear you there! My hubby is 100% an enabler! I say, "I think I am going to...." and he says, "sounds good". I mean really... Help me out a little here! Although when I recently brought up the fact that a friend was selling out her partridge silkie flock, I did get the look....

UPDATE .... 3 of the 4 eggs are still attempting to hatch ! Hard to believe there can be such a time span with such a few eggs, not giving up yet
fl.gif

And I have a marans pullet that decided to start laying this week,,, not sure who it is, but she's laying one great DARK egg... loving the color ! They may go in with the next hatch,, longshot, but would love to reproduce the dark egg in the next generation
celebrate.gif

UPDATE .... 3 of the 4 eggs are still attempting to hatch ! Hard to believe there can be such a time span with such a few eggs, not giving up yet
fl.gif

And I have a marans pullet that decided to start laying this week,,, not sure who it is, but she's laying one great DARK egg... loving the color ! They may go in with the next hatch,, longshot, but would love to reproduce the dark egg in the next generation
celebrate.gif

YAY!!!
fl.gif

Teehee! Blarney, it's easy!

Have you ever seen the show "Big Bang Theory"? Well, I SWEAR they have my life bugged. Even the "crap on a cracker" comment that Penny made was MY calling card YEARS ago. When they start saying "Corpus Christi on a bicycle" I'm gonna get really scared.

He's gonna get a headset for his cell phone! :D A blue tooth headset.

Bless him...he is such an enabler for me. "Do what you want to hun, I'll build the pens for you."

Ray, I have a great dark one this batch too. Have to figure out which of the 5 she is and then hope the black roo is putting his 2 cents in properly. All said, at least the time frame for results is quicker and cheaper than cows.

John just brought in two nice khaki eggs. I do think the incubator will get started in February. The egg size should be great by then. We can decide if we will try to use the 1200 egg incubator i bought last year on CL, or the more manageable LG in a box:)

They are his chickens, but I do the stock management. He does the feeding, egg collecting and enjoyment since the chickens are his retirement project.
When we reached close to 50 last year, he said I should stop hatching, but he forgot to tell the broodies that, so we sold some hatches. I talked him into sending the broodies with the chicks because we had extra hens. We even donated a hen and her newly hatched chicks to the Kutztown Fair benefit auction. That raised some eyebrows on the fair board but there was definite bidder interest and a very happy little girl who got hen and chicks.
I want to get under 20 for the winter but haven't achieved that yet. Promised the man that he could get new Orps this spring if we cook the 4 big black orps that are 3 years old. i don't mind hatching because the roosters taste so darn good! I have trouble letting a productive hen go, though. He learned Excel just to keep track of egg production and faithfully logs in the eggs counts by color. He tries to record feed costs but really doesn't want to know how much it is.

Back
Top Bottom