Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

How about snow? Anyone getting any snow yet? We got 2-3 inches of lake effect yesterday here in Ligonier in western PA 15658. Anyone seeing any snow on this side of the Alleghenies?
Thanks,
Karen.

Hi PA people,
I haven't been on this thread in awhile...I moved my hens back to Long Island with me...loving having them here! Only problem is posts on my local thread are very sporadic...you guys seem to be on here frequently, and I am in awe of your collective experience, so I was hoping for some input.

One of my hens looks like this picture!

I have a 3 year old barred rock with comb that looks just like this! I tried to take a picture of her, but this image on backyard chickens is much better (thank you!) The scabs are black, not really raised or colored around the edges at all like other picture images I've seen. If it was just the tips, I'd be figuring she somehow got frostbite. They bleed really easily... My coop is like a crime scene! I thought at first this was damage from "discipline" from the other hens (she is low girl in my flock of 5), but it came out of nowhere and frankly I do not see enough abuse to cause this. So I'm thinking pox, but it's not exactly mosquito season, she's the only infected one (we're about 3 weeks into this), not acting sick and eating and laying great. It's also just her comb, not the rest of her face) just wondered if anyone else can confirm this is the look of "dry" pox; I'd hate to find out it was a different kind of infection that I should have treated. As it is, I have applied blukote once and tonight smeared her with antibiotic ointment.

first I will try this the politically correct, keep the game warden happy way... Dear hawk and family, while i am flattered that you like my establishment enough to stop in for a daily meal, i must insist that you move on to another. PS the pictures of you eating your grass fed meal were not appreciated either.. Sincerely ****** off chicken keeper If this tactic does not work I will need to go with the way that granddaddy taught...
I'm an old fashioned girl too, not the best at it but it worked!

Hi PA people,
I haven't been on this thread in awhile...I moved my hens back to Long Island with me...loving having them here! Only problem is posts on my local thread are very sporadic...you guys seem to be on here frequently, and I am in awe of your collective experience, so I was hoping for some input.

One of my hens looks like this picture!

I have a 3 year old barred rock with comb that looks just like this! I tried to take a picture of her, but this image on backyard chickens is much better (thank you!) The scabs are black, not really raised or colored around the edges at all like other picture images I've seen. If it was just the tips, I'd be figuring she somehow got frostbite. They bleed really easily... My coop is like a crime scene! I thought at first this was damage from "discipline" from the other hens (she is low girl in my flock of 5), but it came out of nowhere and frankly I do not see enough abuse to cause this. So I'm thinking pox, but it's not exactly mosquito season, she's the only infected one (we're about 3 weeks into this), not acting sick and eating and laying great. It's also just her comb, not the rest of her face) just wondered if anyone else can confirm this is the look of "dry" pox; I'd hate to find out it was a different kind of infection that I should have treated. As it is, I have applied blukote once and tonight smeared her with antibiotic ointment.

Not really up on illnesses, but given the weather, I'd lean toward frostbite. I get a lot of it every year.

And you are always welcome here.

How about snow? Anyone getting any snow yet? We got 2-3 inches of lake effect yesterday here in Ligonier in western PA 15658. Anyone seeing any snow on this side of the Alleghenies?
Thanks,
Karen.

Woke up to some snow on the roads here in Pottstown. Working from home today (and tomorrow) because I hate driving in this stuff (and I'm not very good at it).

About 3-4 inches here and still snowing pretty good near Bloomsburg, Pa(Northeast). Work closed for the day which is nice, not having to drive in the mess!

Kids have a snow day today and we got about 3-4 inches so far. There's no sign of stopping either. I had to shovel a path to the coops and clean off the top of the boys coop so it doesn't collapse. I didn't exactly make that one super strong. It was only dosed to be a temp broody coop lol.

Today I get to put my eggs on lockdown today WOO! So excited!

Awesome. Daffodill looks so pretty

There are some message threads about this. I was researching it for you and found some other people were attempting it. Some of the posts were several years old, if they have been working on it since then, they might have some to sell if you pm them.

Thank you! I'm going to have to look into that then. I really would like to work on it :)

This is great!  She may not be thrilled now, but she will forget it soon and be thankful when it does it's job.

Lol thanks! My daughter is dhl about now and wants to help me make them. She's 8 :)

Kids have a snow day today and we got about 3-4 inches so far. There's no sign of stopping either. I had to shovel a path to the coops and clean off the top of the boys coop so it doesn't collapse. I didn't exactly make that one super strong. It was only dosed to be a temp broody coop lol.

Today I get to put my eggs on lockdown today WOO! So excited!
celebrate.gif

What has you more excited, the kids being home from school all day or the eggs going into lockdown?

hide.gif
Having been a parent, I should know the answer to that!

Back
Top Bottom