Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

:smack

Here's a turkey question.  I'm sure @dheltzel
will know the answer.  Can native turkeys breed with Heritage turkeys?  We are going to be living in an area surrounded by state game lands and a state park.  On the way up today I saw a wild turkey walking alongside the road.  If a wild hen came onto our property, I wonder if the midget white tom would have a go at her, since I plan to free range on days when I am home.

Yes, ma'am!

I finally went out and got pictures of the group from Dheltzel :)

This is the lavender ameraucana cockerel in his quarantine pen. I'm working on making him a sweet heart but he's still very scared and nervous.

Daffodil and her welbar trio. So far she's being a good mama. She'll be wanting to leave the nest very soon though so hopefully she's protective too.

And all the silkied lavender ameraucanas, CCL pullets, and welbars

Everyone is still adjusting but they're all figuring things out :)

Made the girls happy today and put a bag of grass clippings in the run. Finally got the coop done enough they can stay out over night in it!!! Happy momma right here. We just need to put the nesting box dividers in and it's done
1f601.png
1f601.png
1f601.png

I got to visit our new house tonight, the owner is allowing us to start moving our stuff into the garage. So of course, I had to walk around the yard to figure out where the new coop will be. I have an idea, but we will need to clear some brush so they can back a truck into that area. The owner knows a guy who takes down trees and clears land, so I'm glad to have the name of a local expert. The owner says he is very reasonable.
big_smile.png
. I'm so excited!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote: awesome on the chickens! I have never bought chickens from auction, hear it can be hit & miss at those things. You have to be very careful too. One never know where they come from & what they have been "through"...

Thank you for the "kraut-encouragement!" hahaha, we are looking forward to having this work out. It will be most beneficial if it does in more ways than one!

We have always processed our meat birds at 8 weeks, this year it was 7 weeks because they got huge. Any longer and they would not have been able to move & I do NOT want them to have "health" issues and be uncomfortable before processed. They are all pretty docile and laid back..too big and cumbersome for too much else. We raise/raised CornishX.
Dressing out around 6-8 pounds...depends on the bird.

Made the girls happy today and put a bag of grass clippings in the run. Finally got the coop done enough they can stay out over night in it!!! Happy momma right here. We just need to put the nesting box dividers in and it's done
1f601.png
1f601.png
1f601.png

So great!!
highfive.gif
....it does feel awesome to have them out on their own. Less work for you. They look like their enjoying the grass!!

@Auroradream26 ..LOVE the lavender coloring!! WOW...almost silver..so cool. Momma looks like is is relaxed. Babies are super cuties too!
Are the birds with the 'mohawks' the CCL pullets? Still reading up on the different breeds, getting to know/understand what is out there.

So great!!:highfive: ....it does feel awesome to have them out on their own. Less work for you. They look like their enjoying the grass!!

@Auroradream26
..LOVE the lavender coloring!! WOW...almost silver..so cool. Momma looks like is is relaxed. Babies are super cuties too!
Are the birds with the 'mohawks' the  CCL pullets? Still reading up on the different breeds, getting to know/understand what is out there.

Yep, they are CCL pullets :) I love the lavenders too and I'm really excited about the silkie feathered ones :)

:thumbsup
awesome on the chickens! I have never bought chickens from auction, hear it can be hit & miss at those things. You have to be very careful too. One never know where they come from & what they have been "through"...

Thank you for the "kraut-encouragement!" hahaha, we are looking forward to having this work out. It will be most beneficial if it does in more ways than one!

We have always processed our meat birds at 8 weeks, this year it was 7 weeks because they got huge. Any longer and they would not have been able to move & I do NOT want them to have "health" issues and be uncomfortable before processed. They are all pretty docile and laid back..too big and cumbersome for too much else. We raise/raised CornishX.
Dressing out around 6-8 pounds...depends on the bird.
[/quote Yeah, there birds were really crummy. I don't know enough about them to know what exactly is wrong with them but I'm guessing a molt. Altho first couple days I got 6 eggs from 13 hens but gradually dropped off. But they are so sweet even though they are ugly. The one is horrible with a very crooked beak. But if she's eating well why get rid of her for ugliness. I'm hoping till spring they look nice and lay again. Beginners luck I possibly bought an old flock. But my children and I love the birds. ... all of them:).I might go auction again but I need to get my winter coops built also. I want to get some little sets of really pretty chickens next year and have a larger variety. I got my babies at tractOr supply with instruction how to raise them but I knew nothing about the diff breeds. So I don't even know what all I have. So well see what the winter and spring brings. Till next year I need to get a bunch of meat chicks and dont attAch to them. But this one does need to be meat. In all I've read I don't know she'll survive the winter. I would love to find a place to get cheap chickens because we are so budgeted and it's just a pet hobby mostly. My grandpa who is 80+ is a chicken fan.

Here's a turkey question. I'm sure @dheltzel will know the answer. Can native turkeys breed with Heritage turkeys? We are going to be living in an area surrounded by state game lands and a state park. On the way up today I saw a wild turkey walking alongside the road. If a wild hen came onto our property, I wonder if the midget white tom would have a go at her, since I plan to free range on days when I am home.
It is more likely that your domestic turkeys will wander off and join a wild flock than the the wild hens will be enticed to hand with your flock, but it's possible. I think white turkeys are less prone to co-mingling because they do not easily blend in with the wilds. I have 3 free ranging toms and they have shown no inclination to run off with a wild flock. I think they are spoiled and their friends (bird and human) are on the farm.

Back
Top Bottom