Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello fellow Pennsylvanians!:frow I recently joined BYC! We currently do not have any chickens but that should change in about a week. It's day 14 for our hatching eggs! :yaThey'll be the first chickens that we've had as a family and first chickens ever for the hubby and kids.

Welcome, from Cambria county! Hope you have a great hatch! You'll definitely have to post pictures of your fluffy butts when they hatch!

Speaking of hatching, I had 1 new serama baby hatch and 2 CX outcross babies yesterday. I NEED to take a picture of the CX babies from last weekend with the 2 from this weekend. The size difference is ENORMOUS! the week old babies were 1.6 oz at hatch and are now 3.4 oz! This time, I'm pretty sure the dad is who I wanted him to be (crele orpington)

Hello fellow Pennsylvanians!:frow I recently joined BYC! We currently do not have any chickens but that should change in about a week. It's day 14 for our hatching eggs! :yaThey'll be the first chickens that we've had as a family and first chickens ever for the hubby and kids.
Welcome!
Feel free to ask any questions you have about hatching, brooding, etc. Collectively, we have experience hatching and raising thousands of chickens, so you have a deep well of experience here to draw from. This link has a care sheet I wrote for my chick customers, it is a short read and I will be happy to elaborate on anything.

I have a big hatch scheduled for New Year's Day. A lot of Partridge Penedesenca eggs. I haven't candled them yet, so I'm not sure about fertility, but I'm hoping. They have really impressed me with their laying ability compared to my other dark egg layers (Welsummers, Welbars and Copper Marans all seem to be rather lackadaisical). I have 7 pullets, yesterday I got 7 eggs, today just 6, but considering the numbers for my flock of about 50 Legbars was 0 and 1, I think they are doing great.

Today's Legbar egg was the first since October. These are mostly 2 to 3 years old now, so they take longer breaks, but that is quite the drought for a Legbar. I want to select for productivity over several years, so that requires keeping the birds to see who is still laying after several years and selecting their progeny for the next group of breeders.
My legbar quit laying last winter and this winter. But I’ve been feeding them oatmeal in the mornings. And she started to lay last week. I wonder if she just needs different nutrition to lay through the winter

I have 5 new laying pullets and 12 older hens. I got 10 eggs today so far. I think I’m doing pretty good!! I do honestly think the warm oatmeal has helped. Chickens are no different from other animals and need more protein in the winter. I need to increase my horse’s feed soon. He has dropped some weight and it’s early in the winter to b dropping weight.

Back
Top Bottom