Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So I bought a heating pad for my brooders but I used it for a couple turkey poults and a Lena pullet since they didn't like the new Serama babies. I don't think they have this figured out right lol.

View attachment 1291155 View attachment 1291156

I corrected them but we'll see how long this lasts lol

View attachment 1291157

Do you have it hung up on it’s side? Or did you make a little tunnel? It’s hard to see from the pics. It’s amazing how much quieter they are with the heating pad brooder.

Any ideas on what my mystery bantam chicks are from TSC? I was thinking tonight, perhaps bantam Cochins? That would be great actually. They are smaller than the silkie chicks even! There are 3 of the mystery breed, and they all have very feathered legs. It is hard to tell form the pictures, but they seem to have a gray tone to their fluff.

436024A1-E519-4EDB-AF22-972A6378C861.jpeg

Such cute fluffies!

D1258ABC-EEE3-47CD-A917-D1414D4E94B8.jpeg

You know you’re a midget when you have to hide under a silkie! :lau

11116B0A-2C0C-4133-89CA-F97E8CD7023E.jpeg

Rear view!

9FE4B478-843E-40E0-8D54-DB59BF4FEBEA.jpeg

@Blarneyeggs My plan worked! ;) I even went back and got some more Silkies, so I am guaranteed to have a few females for a friend and myself. So the are 8 Silkies and 3 mystery birds.

C867E2E3-3BC4-410E-8969-331A359E9535.jpeg

So I put the new chicks in a plastic storage tote brooder, inside the pool with the rest of the chicks. They can see and hear each other, but are separated. The heat lamp is hanging over the new chicks, since the garage is pretty cool. The older chicks are still warmed by the lamp, and I still ha e the heating pad available for them.

But because the other chicks are 3 weeks old and little monkeys, I keep finding one or two that have jumped in with the babies. No problems, except they eat the food, lol. The new chicks are so small, I was nervous about them being trampled or pecked. But they all seem pretty comfortable, so I may try a few minutes of full integration tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thank you so much. I was actually able to find some local and they are set. I'll want to refill the bator after this batch though, at least one friend wants more blues. Can I get in touch then?

Site thing!

Do you have it hung up on it’s side? Or did you make a little tunnel? It’s hard to see from the pics. It’s amazing how much quieter they are with the heating pad brooder.

It's up on its side. I just kind of threw it together really quick last night and I didn't want them climbing on it and pooping all over it. So, they found the opening in it and wiggled IN to it instead lol I'll have to get that closed off. Do you keep it set on high? First time using the heat pad. As far as quieter, most of them are but one little poult is still in there complaining. I think he's missing his old brooder lol

@AnneInTheBurbs, what kind of comb do your mystery babies have? They could be bantam cochins, brahmas, or dUccles. Most feed store silkies grow up to be standard sized, not true bantam so it's no surprise that they're smaller than the silkies :)

I do keep the heating pad on high, I have used it on medium, but I think high is best at least initially. I highly recommend @Blooie s recommendation of using an old towel, covered with Press and Seal plastic wrap. It’s easy to change out when they poop all over it, and it sticks so well. Do be careful of chicks getting stuck in the flap of the cover of the heating pad. I had that once before with w small chick, that snuggled in there, and was stuck overnight! She did make it though.

@AnneInTheBurbs
I vote D'uccles, though the others are certainly possible. There is a porcelain colored D'uccle which is gorgeous, maybe some of them?

I agree with both of you ladies. I looked up pictures of bantam chicks, and I think they might be Porcelain D’ Uccles. I am very surprised to find such a fancy fowl at the TSC.

Any ideas on what my mystery bantam chicks are from TSC? I was thinking tonight, perhaps bantam Cochins? That would be great actually. They are smaller than the silkie chicks even! There are 3 of the mystery breed, and they all have very feathered legs. It is hard to tell form the pictures, but they seem to have a gray tone to their fluff.

View attachment 1291424

Such cute fluffies!

View attachment 1291426

You know you’re a midget when you have to hide under a silkie! :lau

View attachment 1291427

Rear view!

View attachment 1291428

@Blarneyeggs My plan worked! ;) I even went back and got some more Silkies, so I am guaranteed to have a few females for a friend and myself. So the are 8 Silkies and 3 mystery birds.

View attachment 1291429

So I put the new chicks in a plastic storage tote brooder, inside the pool with the rest of the chicks. They can see and hear each other, but are separated. The heat lamp is hanging over the new chicks, since the garage is pretty cool. The older chicks are still warmed by the lamp, and I still ha e the heating pad available for them.

But because the other chicks are 3 weeks old and little monkeys, I keep finding one or two that have jumped in with the babies. No problems, except they eat the food, lol. The new chicks are so small, I was nervous about them being trampled or pecked. But they all seem pretty comfortable, so I may try a few minutes of full integration tomorrow and see how it goes.

those are 100% porcelain d'uccles, I have a bunch coming next week for some pet projects

Need some input - looking to get chickens. What is your experience with:
Wynadotte
Brahma
Marans
Can chime in about other breeds you love too.

Also, what hatchery have you had best experiences with? How much is the cost? I'm finding it to be a lot of money for chicks that may not survive the trip.
I'll wait a little while to see what TSC has before ordering.

Back
Top Bottom