Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

anyone having problems with coons? i lost all but two of my 12 or 15 chickens over the winter while gone(grand-daughter taking care of them) and we just got back from the dr's and my husband came in from getting mail and said theres a big coon walking in the yard, well don't know if it was sick or not but its no longer walking, just hoping if it was sick that it didn't have fleas, dogs have their shots but not sure if our house pig has a rabies shot when he got his other shots
Thankfully coons have rarely shown around here, and any which have don't leave the property alive, same with possums. I won't go hunting for them, or put dogs on them if just passing through the yard, but nosing around the coops is a one way ticket....
Any coons out in daytime is suspicious to me, and with the increased reports on rabies around our county I would dispatch any coons I saw acting 'off' during the day.

Thankfully coons have rarely shown around here, and any which have don't leave the property alive, same with possums. I won't go hunting for them, or put dogs on them if just passing through the yard, but nosing around the coops is a one way ticket....
Any coons out in daytime is suspicious to me, and with the increased reports on rabies around our county I would dispatch any coons I saw acting 'off' during the day.
not 100 percent sure it was sick but you're right about it being out during daylight, plus it was headed for my outside brooder where i have a few chicks, yea decided to try again although i will never have the same bloodlines i did

We are on the list to get them this year, assuming he gets some to hatch. I also found out there is a breeder in Chester Co that has them, but he seems hard to find. An occasional ad on Craigslist, but it doesn't last long and he's not very responsive to emails.
One way or another, I will find some.

My poultry pimp always comes through! :gig

If you are home tomorrow make a point to pay special attention when placing out food in the morning... she knows where her quickest food and water source is and will probably try to sneak in and eat. When she does you can follow her back to her hiding spot.

She did come back safe and sound! But last night was gone again. She’s not broody (yet), but she lays late and stays on the nest. So this morning, I set my alarm at 5:30 to sit out there and see where she emerged from. At about 6:00, she came through the side of the yard, not where I expected. But at least I have more of an idea of where to look and wait next time. Just happy she is safe!

I am wondering if she is laying on the neighbors property. They said how one of the turkeys is coming up to their back door and looking in at the cat. :lol:

anyone having problems with coons? i lost all but two of my 12 or 15 chickens over the winter while gone(grand-daughter taking care of them) and we just got back from the dr's and my husband came in from getting mail and said theres a big coon walking in the yard, well don't know if it was sick or not but its no longer walking, just hoping if it was sick that it didn't have fleas, dogs have their shots but not sure if our house pig has a rabies shot when he got his other shots

I’m so sorry to hear this. I haven’t seen or seen evidence of raccoons in my neck of the woods, but we have so many foxes. I’m pretty sure its because of all the development around here.

So yesterday was meat bird processing day. And as strange as it sounds, it was a lot of fun! I had help from my Russian friend and his father who doesn’t speak much English. They did most of the killing and gutting, and I did a lot of plucking. We started later because the propane burner wouldn’t work, so he had to buy a new one. But while we were waiting, his dad started to dry pluck, and so did I. It really wasn’t too bad at all. Once we dipped them in water, they were so easy to pluck.

These were Cornish crosses that were about 8 weeks old or so. I’ll have to do some weighing of the carcasses today, we were in a hurry yesterday. Because of the amount to be done, we used the axe and tree stump method. Which meant a lot of blood splatters, but a quick humane death.

On a funny cultural note, his Russian nanny came out to watch for a bit and said (in Russian, which was translated for me) that she was surprised anyone would still bother to do all this work because you can buy it in the stores. She also said if my friend was comfortable to do this though, that his Dad raised him well.

So yesterday was meat bird processing day. And as strange as it sounds, it was a lot of fun! I had help from my Russian friend and his father who doesn’t speak much English. They did most of the killing and gutting, and I did a lot of plucking. We started later because the propane burner wouldn’t work, so he had to buy a new one. But while we were waiting, his dad started to dry pluck, and so did I. It really wasn’t too bad at all. Once we dipped them in water, they were so easy to pluck.

These were Cornish crosses that were about 8 weeks old or so. I’ll have to do some weighing of the carcasses today, we were in a hurry yesterday. Because of the amount to be done, we used the axe and tree stump method. Which meant a lot of blood splatters, but a quick humane death.

On a funny cultural note, his Russian nanny came out to watch for a bit and said (in Russian, which was translated for me) that she was surprised anyone would still bother to do all this work because you can buy it in the stores. She also said if my friend was comfortable to do this though, that his Dad raised him well.

It may be available in stores, but not at the same quality level!

Congrats on your first successful butcher day! Now you will be better prepared to take care of all the extra cockerels your broodies will hatch. :lol:

Hi all!! I had my first hatch in an incubator a few weeks ago. I got these crazy birds from it.
20180510_165631.jpg
20180522_102404.jpg
20180522_102246.jpg
have no idea what mixes they are. Hoping the one with gold is a girl. Pretty sure other one is a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom