Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi, popping in again. I don't have time to catch up on all of the posts but I'm sorry to see that Candy is gone. We lost a favorite chicken suddenly too, only overnight. That was a few weeks ago and thankfully the others seem fine. We also got a call last night that there was a chicken roaming around my husband's workplace. So we went over there to capture her and asked a few chicken neighbors if they were missing any, and they were not. I wish I could solve the mystery, but I guess we have a new chicken now! Posting a picture - can you guys tell me what breed she is and why her top beak is clipped?

View attachment 2338667
She is a red sexlink. It's common that an egg factory clip their beaks so they do not peck each other to death in a crowded condition. She might be a lucky one that escaped when they process the older girls during fall. I just saw one red sexlink chicken wondering around our neightborhood two days ago, but I was not able to get her.

Thanks for the nice words for Candy. Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a lovely girl like her, but this is life. :(

Good Morning! I live in SE PA, Chester County. I have 26 Australorps that are 6 ½ wks old. Currently they are in my garage in a 4 X 8 brooder that they are outgrowing! I would like to put them in their coop/run today but looks like the weather at night is going to dip into the 30/40’s at night for a few days. I am wondering if I should put the heat lamp on in the coop but leave the window open also so it doesn’t get too warm in there, or if having 26 in the coop will generate enough heat for them. They have not had heat lamp since they were a little over 2 weeks old due to how hot it had been. During the day I have the garage door open so they are getting a taste of the cooler weather and according to the chick/temp charts, they are okay with 65 degree weather, so daytime I am not really concerned. What are your thoughts? TIA
:frow You have done what most of us do. You can relax now, the chicks don’t need to be so pampered. Go ahead, and put them outside this morning. Tonight they will will make noise as they settle in their new digs the first night. They probably won’t roost at night for several more weeks. That is another topic though.

She is a red sexlink. It's common that an egg factory clip their beaks so they do not peck each other to death in a crowded condition. She might be a lucky one that escaped when they process the older girls during fall. I just saw one red sexlink chicken wondering around our neightborhood two days ago, but I was not able to get her.

Thanks for the nice words for Candy. Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a lovely girl like her, but this is life. :(

Wow, there are no egg factories or chicken farms nearby that I know of. I wonder how far she traveled. She'll have a long, spoiled life here though!

Penn State just called me. They didn't found any obvious reason of Candy's death. She only had one worm in her. No sign of infection. They want to know if she is vaccinated, so I guess they suspect Marek? The final test results will come in Tuesday.

Last edited:
Penn State just called me. They didn't found any obvious reason of Candy's death. She only had one worm in her. No sign of infection. They want to know if she is vaccinated, so I guess they suspect Marek? The final test results will come in Tuesday.

No, she was not vaccinated. I hope they find some kind of answer.

No, she was not vaccinated. I hope they find some kind of answer.

That's what I told them. I don't think she is vaccinated. They said they found she had thicker nerves, so it sounds like they suspect Marek. I hope it's not Marek, or I can only order vaccinated chicks from a hachery in the future.:( All other girls seem healthy though.

That's what I told them. I don't think she is vaccinated. They said they found she had thicker nerves, so it sounds like they suspect Marek. I hope it's not Marek, or I can only order vaccinated chicks from a hachery in the future.:( All other girls seem healthy though.

I hope not too. I haven't had any losses here that resemble Merek's at all so who knows :confused: The problem with the Merek's vaccine is that it's a "leaky" vaccine. It protects any birds that have had the vaccine from developing any symptoms but it doesn't stop them from getting it and spreading it to others. That's why I'll never vaccinate for it.

I hope not too. I haven't had any losses here that resemble Merek's at all so who knows :confused: The problem with the Merek's vaccine is that it's a "leaky" vaccine. It protects any birds that have had the vaccine from developing any symptoms but it doesn't stop them from getting it and spreading it to others. That's why I'll never vaccinate for it.
That's been my policy also. Some birds have a strong immunity against Marek's symptoms, but nearly all chickens carry it, according to the Merks Veterinary Manual. Vaccinated chickens are just as likely to be infected, the vaccine only greatly reduces (but doesn't totally eliminate) the chance of showing symptoms. As such, the vaccinated birds can carry more virulent strains that would otherwise die out (as it kills off all its hosts). That makes me very wary of "rescuing" factory farm birds, as they are always vaccinated and exposed to thousands of other vaccinated birds - who knows what is brewing in those facilities.
I had my lavender cochin bantam chicks vaccinated at the hatchery, to be sure I could keep a breeding group alive. Their chicks are not vaccinated and if I raise a lot, only very hardy ones will survive to be my more resistant breeders in the future. That is a harsh assessment from a farmer, not the response of a backyard chicken owner with just a few pets.
That said, I am considering vaccinating next year, as most of my customers don't care much about their birds contributing to a long term resistance gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom