Penny Marshall my 1 year old Wyandotte Hen having issues... again..

I'm glad you got the tests back, good news is that it's normal!

I think you are on the right track working on building her up with vitamin therapy and nutrition and see how it goes. I'm a big fan of giving B-Complex as @azygous mentioned.
It was funny, I was so relieved when I heard everything checked out... then I was like so what is this? 😳 vitamins and a little sunshine never hurt anyone so we will start there!

As promised, attached are Penny's lab results from June and now December. When I spoke to the vet last night, she said the following:

Fecal test: Normal
Zinc levels are normal
Liver is good
red blood cels went up a bit
Muscle enzymes are out of whack, but we know this since she is not walking

I am not a doctor, vet or pretend to be.. I don't even play one on TV.. lol I heal myself with diet, regular exercise and preventative care. If anyone that can understand the attached lab results a bit better than me can weigh in I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• Penny Marshall labs 5.23.pdf
    232.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Penny Marshall labs 12.23.pdf
    218.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Excellent! It's a very big thing to have the peace of mind knowing she isn't loaded up with zinc. And if it is Marek's, since she's been vaccinated, she has a better chance of living with it since the vaccine prevent tumors. B-complex can help, and also you might try Valtrex (acyclovir) to alleviate the worst of her symptoms if it is Marek's.

Valtrex is a human prescription med that treats herpes virus lesions. I take it for shingles outbreaks. Since Marek's is caused by a strain of the herpes virus, Valtrex may help. We don't know. It hasn't really been discussed much here on BYC the connection between avian herpes and human herpes and reported experimenting with an anti-viral herpes med.

The problem is getting a prescription. If you ever suffer from cold sores, you could ask your doctor to prescribe it for you. Yes, I know this amounts to subterfuge. I like to call it "ingenuity". When I experimented on some pullets some years back, when I suspected Marek's, I broke one pill into quarters and gave a quarter pill per day. This is all the literature I could find on this. https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/acyclovir

I can't really say if it had any effect on my pullets. They were later diagnosed with lymphoid leucosis which is caused by an entirely different virus.
Working on securing Valtrex as well lol

Back
Top Bottom