Penny Marshall my 1 year old Wyandotte Hen having issues... again..

Hi All!

I made the decision to move forward with treating Penny with the Valacyclovir for her current condition of not walking or standing much.

She currently is 1 year old and weighs 5 lbs/2.5 kg The prescription that I had was for 1G/tablet of Valacyclovir.

Based on the dosing guidelines on poultry DMV 10 mg/kg IM q24h x 5-14 days
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/acyclovir

I cut the 1G (1,000MG) into 7 slices (142MG per slice) I then mashed up 1 slice of the pill and diluted into 30ML of warm plain water and fed half of it to Penny. (71MG- she is supposed to get 25, so I will need to dial it back next time)

We enjoyed a nice sunny moment on the front steps and she was quite content and peppy!

I then put her back in her coop next to her sisters where she ate her food and was content.

It is a beautiful day here today so she and I will be basking in the brisk winter sun's warm rays later.

My plan is to do this every 24 hours in the morning after she has had her breakfast.

I will keep you posted on her progress- I am hopeful!!

QUESTION: Do I continue with the half a tablet b-complex and 1 400 IU vitamin E softgel daily?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I can't help getting absolutely excited when we can utilize this site for lab experiments that might teach us new ways to treat and care for out chickens. It's more than you'll find on Facebook.

I would continue the B-complex as it acts directly on any inflamed nerve endings to heal them while concurrently giving the acyclovir which potentially acts to retard the herpes virus from multiplying in her body, if in fact she carries it.

All BYC lacks is a community lab for us to send blood and tissue samples to for free or low cost testing. I dream big.

I can't help getting absolutely excited when we can utilize this site for lab experiments that might teach us new ways to treat and care for out chickens. It's more than you'll find on Facebook.

I would continue the B-complex as it acts directly on any inflamed nerve endings to heal them while concurrently giving the acyclovir which potentially acts to retard the herpes virus from multiplying in her body, if in fact she carries it.

All BYC lacks is a community lab for us to send blood and tissue samples to for free or low cost testing. I dream big.
I agree- I hope that this helps Penny, and other chickens across the globe!

Last edited:
I'm think athridious. This is how my Egg Yolk was during winter. She died of water belly this summer.
I am sorry to hear about Egg Yolk 😢

The vet did not find any issues with the bones/joints when she examined Penny last week- also her abdomen was normal and there was no findings of excess fluid. I will do more research on arthritis to learn more though- thanks!

I am sorry to hear about Egg Yolk 😢

The vet did not find any issues with the bones/joints when she examined Penny last week- also her abdomen was normal and there was no findings of excess fluid. I will do more research on arthritis to learn more though- thanks!
Thank you! We were expecting it for a while than she got soo bad we had to put her down. Her belly was dragging on the ground.
How old is Penny Marshall??

Back
Top Bottom