People climbing

Stormiek

Chirping
Jul 8, 2021
Hey! So i helped raise my moms chickens but now im all "grown up" and moved out with my very own chickens and ducks!. I spend a lot of time with them and theyre used to lovins. For a while now everytime i go in their coop and squat down to clean water/pool/bowls/or whatever, the chickens will jump up on my back and just kindov hang out. All 5 of them do it now one of my ducks even tried to get up there today! (She didnt quiet make it) then and again theyll peck at me (im assuming they thing my freckles are bugs?) Ive been reading up on it and just wanted some other opinions on if this is because they have formed a liking to me or if its because they want to show dominance over me?

Also, when i pet my ducks and rub on their chest feathers they do this vibrate thing and nibble on my fingers, is this more like a purr for them or do you think its more of a trembling thing?

Thanks for your time :)

Stormie

Hey! So i helped raise my moms chickens but now im all "grown up" and moved out with my very own chickens and ducks!. I spend a lot of time with them and theyre used to lovins. For a while now everytime i go in their coop and squat down to clean water/pool/bowls/or whatever, the chickens will jump up on my back and just kindov hang out. All 5 of them do it now one of my ducks even tried to get up there today! (She didnt quiet make it) then and again theyll peck at me (im assuming they thing my freckles are bugs?) Ive been reading up on it and just wanted some other opinions on if this is because they have formed a liking to me or if its because they want to show dominance over me?

Also, when i pet my ducks and rub on their chest feathers they do this vibrate thing and nibble on my fingers, is this more like a purr for them or do you think its more of a trembling thing?

Thanks for your time :)

Stormie
I have no knowledge of ducks but I would like to know that answer :)

My chickens always peck at any of the patterns on my clothing so freckles will be the same, they probably think there's something for them too eat

Most likely curiosity and opportunity - you're something fun to climb up on - though I don't allow my birds to "come up" on any part of my body unless they're invited. That's how folks get earrings pecked out, poopy feet on nicer clothing, etc.

Don't know about ducks, but I think the chickens are just being social. They don't have a lot of other ways to interact with you, but they like climbing and perching, so that's one way they can interact with you. It means they are comfortable with you and trust you. My chickens do that too, and it doesn't necessarily have to stop when they start laying. My Orpingtons stopped climbing higher than my lap just because they are English and HUGE and just don't like heights anymore. They are too heavy to get up there. My Barnevelders, on the other hand, are a smaller and lighter breed, and they do still perch on my back and on my shoulders, even though they have been full grown, laying hens for some time now.

My chickens all do this (but not my eight year old Barred Rock anymore because her legs are too arthritic to jump up onto me). They mostly hop into my lap and settle or snuggle in for a nap. A few of my other girls (1-2 years old), will jump on my back if I lean over. My Buff Orpington roo, Gerard, likes to use my back as a place to crow from :lau . My Junie (Barred Rock) will jump onto my back when making her announcement about laying an egg (because apparently it is a better place to sound off from than the ground :cool:). But I raised them to be comfortable around me and don’t mind the familiar behavior:idunno.

Back
Top Bottom