People from california/people that know about political parties, HELP!

Mrs. Green Thumbs :

So I am registering to vote today in our up coming ...whatever it's called. I don't do politics... I don't talk about them, I don't think much about it all unless it has something that directly affect's my personal life... Well I didn't, of course now I'm 27 and I'm beginning to realize that not only do I have a vote but that even if I don't affect the political world... the political world can and will affect my world. So here I am filling out my California voter's registration and I have it all done besides this one teensy question...

"Do you want to register with a political party?"

Umm... ok well I don't know what I am or what to check. I'm voting yes on prop 19 so I guess I'm a....umm.... is it called liberal? any way's can someone help me out here? My step dad say's I'm a Democrat because I'm poor and only the rich people are republican's.....
idunno.gif

I suspect you don't have to check anything. The question says "Do you want to....", so just say no.​

Accordng to the voter registration pamphlet for California that I posted the link to earlier, it is up to the individual parties as to whether people who are not affiliated with a party can vote in the primary. Here is exactly what it says:
HOW DO I CHOOSE A POLITICAL PARTY?
You may choose to be a member of any of the qualified political parties listed on the voter registration form. Each of the political parties holds a primary election to nominate their candidates for the general election. If you do not want to be in a political party, you may mark “no” on the registration form where it asks “Do you want to register with a political party?” and you will be registered as a “Decline to State” (DTS) voter. In primary elections, some political parties allow DTS voters to help choose their candidates and some do not, but DTS voters may always vote for ballot measures and candidates running for nonpartisan offices.​

Quote:
I suspect you don't have to check anything. The question says "Do you want to....", so just say no.

That was my original intention untill I read the fine print next to the box for that option:

No, I do not want to register with a political party. (if you check this box, you may not be able to vote for some parties' candidates in primary elections)

I find it very annoying that here in Texas I can't vote in the primaries because I don't have an official party designation. I think it is silly; especially in view that all the electorial votes go to the winning party in a presidential election. I might want to vote in the primary simply because I know my state is going to take all the electorial votes in one direction and I prefer on candidate over another.

mom'sfolly :

I find it very annoying that here in Texas I can't vote in the primaries because I don't have an official party designation. I think it is silly; especially in view that all the electorial votes go to the winning party in a presidential election. I might want to vote in the primary simply because I know my state is going to take all the electorial votes in one direction and I prefer on candidate over another.

That was along the lines of hte logic that caused the change in law in Arizona. I think there may have even been a court case, but not sure--it was awhile back.

The logic on the other side of the coin, though is that the political parties are private entities who should not have their decisions made by people who have not chosen to join the party.​

Quote:
If you don't want to learn about our political system, our parties, history, etc., then I would think it is best that you shouldn't be voting! How can you make an informed decision when you live here and don't know anything about how this country is run? We are in deep poop and we could really use citizens to step up and get educated about our country, not just have a pet peeve to vote for and leave the heavy lifting to the rest of us. I find it frightening that someone would not even know our two political parties, at the very least!

Totally Agree!!
thumbsup.gif

I could add my 2cents but might get me in trouble
hide.gif
duc.gif

Mrs. Green Thumbs :

I'm voting yes on prop 19 so I guess I'm a....umm.... is it called liberal?

I'm as conservative as it gets and I think pot should be legalized.​

Back
Top Bottom