People from california/people that know about political parties, HELP!

Quote:
If you don't want to learn about our political system, our parties, history, etc., then I would think it is best that you shouldn't be voting! How can you make an informed decision when you live here and don't know anything about how this country is run? We are in deep poop and we could really use citizens to step up and get educated about our country, not just have a pet peeve to vote for and leave the heavy lifting to the rest of us. I find it frightening that someone would not even know our two political parties, at the very least!

It is obvious that the OP has discovered the importance of elections, and IS becoming involved. Just because she/he is ignorant of details does not negate his/her right to vote. There was statement that said she was unaware of our two predominant parties--indeed, the OP named them and listed a common misconception passed by a relative.

True. I think anyone who's willing to ask, to seek information, to continue learning is a smart one.

It's the folks that assume they know all they ever need to know that I have a hard time relating to.

Think back... wasn't all that long ago (geologically speaking anyways) that people believed the earth was the center of the universe... some were cool with the new knowledge, embraced it... others pitched a fit, refused to accept it, didn't want to know.

There are a lot of folks who stick to old ideas (true ones or fibs) and just flat out don't want to know if they're wrong.. and worse, they spread the stuff... I've got nothing but respect for someone who's willing to reach out and educate themselves... especially on something as important as who we hire to run our country.

You know, some years back during the whole Chad Incident I made a remark that "the electoral college will tell us who won anyways, don't see the point in this much bruhaha" and my FIL threw a FIT... insisted I was wrong, there was no such thing as the EC... on and on... of course eventually they started talking about just that on the news. He, and evidently a LOT of others, were SHOCKED to find out about this system. He had no idea... he apologized... he's a really good guy, if a bit old school... but it's a perfect example of what I mean... I guess they didn't actually cover that in Government his senior year like our class... but goes to show... just how many people didn't know this? Had no idea? What the heck did they think they were talking about on the news when they were tallying those numbers? Very very scary insight that was... here's a man in his 60's... been voting for what 40 years, and had no idea. He's a good guy, he'll admit when he's wrong, but there are SO many that don't... if something that huge can be unknown to the masses... what ELSE isn't known or is misunderstood... and what effect has it been having on our elections, and thus the way our country is run?

americaneyesLib.jpg

When I registered I believe you had to register a party to vote in primaries (which is regretful, I want to switch back to undecided because I'm more down the middle).
Both sides can have good and bad selections, so don't vote based solely on party, research is important. Even if you register one party you can still vote for another.

Risa here in CA, choose independent, then you will have ALL the choices. Now I need to go look up prop 19. I have been paying attention to governors race too much
roll.png

Oh dear. I will go back to the governors race now.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Most states have an official website explaining the voting system. It varies state to state. In Indiana when we had the primaries (where you decide the candidates that are going to duke it out in the fall) you could only choose one party. So, for example, I couldn't vote for some Republicans or some Democrats. I had to choose which party I wanted to vote for. Keep in mind that it is different in the general election in November. Regardless of what party you are affiliated with you can vote for whomever you wish.

My biggest suggestion, though: do not worry about figuring out which "party" you belong to. Vote on your principles and your beliefs and know who you are voting for! There is nothing wrong with leaving a box unchecked if you don't know anything about the candidates.

I used to register independent. However I'd usually vote republican. Mostly there just weren't enough "other" parties with candidates that I felt were worth voting for.......But one year there was a big Republican run off that I really wanted to be involved with so I changed my party affiliation. Of course I didn't realize there was a waiting period after I made the switch, and I missed out on the primary anyway, but it made me realize that being affiliated with a party - whether I fully agree with every view that party espouses, is better than being restricted in my opportunities to vote.

That being said, it is different in every state so you have to know what your state's rules are.

Back
Top Bottom