People that use sand in their coop I have a quick question

sunshine ducky

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Illinois
Hey everyone, I attempted to use sand in my duck coop and so far it is working out wonderfully! My question is can I reuse the sand when cleaning out the coop or should I buy new sand from the store again. Reason I'm asking this is I've heard people cleaning out their sand and washing it and then they reuse it; which sounds much more convenient. Thanks for the help! :)

Not sure how you wash sand but I think that's what I'd do, rather than always buying new. Sand naturally percolates materials through it so I guess normal "washings" with the garden hose ought to work. Is that what you had in mind?

I have sand on the floor of my coop and covered run for my 4 hens.Everyday I scoop the poop with a kitty litter scooper and run a rake through it.I love the low maintenance and the girls love searching for buried goodies hiding in the sand.I have added a couple of bags of sand every 6 months or so.I buy 60# bags of sand at Home Depot/Loews for less than $4

What kind of sand do you get? It shouldn't be kids play sand it should be construction grade
sand.

I am having a ton of sand delivered on Saturday. Sounds like a lot but I was told it would be enough for 4 inches of sand in my 8x10 covered run. It's construction grade....Lots of little pebbles. Hopefully my girls will like it

It sounds so easy, but my horse died from sand colic, so I would never use sand. I've read here someone had a problem with sand impacted in a croup, so watch out for that one chicken who seems to like to eat it.

After my sand becomes caked with poop and forms a hard layer on top I shovel it out and put it on my veggie gardens. Every spring I bring in another yard of sand to replace what I removed. Buying in bulk is the key. A yard of sand is $35. Getting that much in bags would be cost prohibitive.

It sounds so easy, but my horse died from sand colic, so I would never use sand. I've read here someone had a problem with sand impacted in a croup, so watch out for that one chicken who seems to like to eat it.

When you buy sand, make sure you get course river sand. Do not get the fine stuff. The fine sand stick together when wet. The river sand does not.

Last edited:
I buy the construction grade with different size grains and tiny pebbles .It also doubles as grit and they eat it when needed.I started with the play sand and quickly realized it was too fine so I bought more bags of the construction type and mixed it.There is no smell from the coop so that is a huge bonus.

Back
Top Bottom