people with house chickens

We've just recently gotten used to letting Frizzle walk around on the floor. The clean up isn't usually that bad unless it's a runny one. She even jumped back up into her cage when she was done. I'm starting to doubt I will be going to the farm this week since we're getting snow the day I'm supposed to go. I need ideas for building her an outdoor coop and pen. It needs to be small, easy to reach in and grab her, inexpensive, and easy to build. And it needs to offer some ground area for forging and a sheltered area where she can go rest and drink/eat along with a roost. The whole thing needs to be small and movable. I'm shooting for it to not even look like a chicken coop or anything ugly so my neighbors don't mind. I want to make something like the image below but big enough for her and one or two others. The one they are selling is extremely small and I know I can build one for much less. I will still be letting them out of the coop to walk around my yard when I'm out there with them.

If I could build something presentable and functional as this with all the doors and everything then I would be very pleased. I have shingles and some cage wire down my basement. I just need the woodm screws, and hinges. Plus I may need to borrow some power tools because mine are old and may not work properly. Does this seem like a difficult thing to build?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Lately I've been thinking about entering Finn in a show. There is one in May, but I'm not sure if we are going to be in the process of moving then. It is about an hour away. It seems easy enough, give him a bath, make sure he looks presentable. Have any of you had your birds in a show?

@Duckobsessed: I guess it would depend on the plans to me. Figure out some plans and then figure out if it would be too hard for you to put together. For me. It doesnt look too hard if you have the tools and materials. That would be optimum for my inside silkies. I just don't have cash flow for the materials.

We've just recently gotten used to letting Frizzle walk around on the floor. The clean up isn't usually that bad unless it's a runny one. She even jumped back up into her cage when she was done. I'm starting to doubt I will be going to the farm this week since we're getting snow the day I'm supposed to go. I need ideas for building her an outdoor coop and pen. It needs to be small, easy to reach in and grab her, inexpensive, and easy to build. And it needs to offer some ground area for forging and a sheltered area where she can go rest and drink/eat along with a roost. The whole thing needs to be small and movable. I'm shooting for it to not even look like a chicken coop or anything ugly so my neighbors don't mind. I want to make something like the image below but big enough for her and one or two others. The one they are selling is extremely small and I know I can build one for much less. I will still be letting them out of the coop to walk around my yard when I'm out there with them.

If I could build something presentable and functional as this with all the doors and everything then I would be very pleased. I have shingles and some cage wire down my basement. I just need the wood screws, and hinges. Plus I may need to borrow some power tools because mine are old and may not work properly. Does this seem like a difficult thing to build?
For it to look EXACTLY like that it will most likely be tough. but i know at a hardware store ( i'm not sure if there is Home Depot where you're from but i assume there everywhere. at least i imagine Home depot being everywhere. i never thought much about it.) you can buy almost everything. and (using every different saw known to man lol) you could definitely figure something out. i would say something like that is super do-able. i know when we built our coop from scratch, keeping weight down ws tough. materials HAVE to be pine. and remember shingles weigh a lot! they need a strong base almost 2X4. any movability you hoped for will quickly disappear. maybe a corrugated tin roof or other sheet metal would be a better choice. Just some thoughts. please tell us what you end up doing!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Lately I've been thinking about entering Finn in a show. There is one in May, but I'm not sure if we are going to be in the process of moving then. It is about an hour away. It seems easy enough, give him a bath, make sure he looks presentable. Have any of you had your birds in a show?

Enter him! I've shown my birds before, but not any of my current house chickens. It was really nice to show off my favorite chicken. It's a great experience.
smile.png

My EE hen helen went broody! I grabbed a couple silkie eggs out of the refrig and the egg Daisy laid early this morning and stuffed them in under her. Do you think refrigerated eggs will hatch? The silkie eggs are the only fertile ones because the big girls beat up Russell whenever he's around them lol :lau
Of course I would LOVE to cross my white silkie with a RIR...

Marilyn is still hanging out with me... I found out she loves grapes! Whatever she wants my poor baby.:loveWe are snuggling right now, done with homework for a while. Need to get crackin on a legal paper tho. So I will feed her some fancy oatmeal and yogurt. Have a great night Everyone!

Hey everyone!

No, I didn't die... Working 6 days a week currently, and it's killing me! 9 hours a day with a 30 mile commute each way leaves me precious little time to do anything else. However...

Phantom and Polka Dot are giving me fertile eggs! 3 for sure, 1 pretty sure, and I just put one more in the incubator today. Words cannot describe how exciting that is. Their babies are going to be GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Also, I promised to keep updating everyone who cares about little Sterling... So... Look at his fluffy little self! :)

And I'm pretty sure my little Serama is a boy...

How's everyone else doing? Theresa, you've been nearly silent like me. How's the muppet feets and screeching keets?

Back
Top Bottom