Peppermint Ameraucana

I got it. How to produce 100% "peppermint" offspring.
Black mottled male over dom white female.

Why mottled? One gene of mottling isn't gonna do anything for the offspring.
And mottling adds white. White is the enemy in paints.
For 100% like you said earlier. Black Xs dominate white .
Problem with that is probably like with the paint silkies. The cross results like the austra whites white with specks of black. With paints and is imagine with these people are looking for bigger black patches.
Paint breeders say you have to selective breed towards more black coming through.
You can of course get to a good balance then breed a double dose dominate white bird to blacks.
Its like breeding for blues. You can keep splash and breed to black for 10% blues but then you're keeping two different colors to produce the color you want so none 9f the breeders are even the color you like.
Or you breed blues that you like and deal with producing blacks and splashes that you don't want.
Same with these. You can keep and breed paints and deal with blacks and whites being produced.

This is why I said mottled over dom white with two mottled genes.
Which now that I think of it may not be possible to make or determine.
Screenshot_2018-12-15-10-48-13.png
Screenshot_2018-12-15-10-48-19.png

As @The Moonshiner states above, mottling would add extra white. As the end goal is paint, we want to push for black pigment.

I consider that a black to splash mating generally produces offspring with various shades of blue, and the same is true of black to dom-white, in my experience. With repeated crossings to black, the blue tends to darken; though I am uncertain of whether it would enhance the expression of the black in the plumage, I would be inclined to take those single factor dom whites showing the most black back to a black bird. Once you are producing birds with your desired level of black, you can then breed paint to paint or black to white and get consistent offspring. I would maintain a single factor group so that I would be certain that they have the genes necessary to produce the desired expression; it's there in the plumage, no guesswork. There is no way, to my knowledge, to produce this appearance in a true-breeding manner.

Last edited:
@Cyprus
I see where you're at now. My problem with that page is that I don't believe it in the least. I don't believe that is what that cross will produce.
Once upon a time I had an expert tell me that that's what exchequer leghorn are. Mottled on white instead of mottled on black which is why exchequer are so different looking then a normal mottled bird.
Exchequer are the crappiest color of leghorns as far as being close to the SOP.
I did some crossing trying to improve them and know for sure they aren't carrying white. They are black under it all.
Anyways that's a whole different discussion.
Idk why the calculator comes up with that but I think its incorrect. Just as it shows a dominate white over black as solid white when we know that it almost always produces a white bird with black specks.

@The Moonshiner There is also a language barrier and some things can be lost in translation.
Although, as I can understand Dutch, I can attest that not much, and nothing of major significance, has been innaccurately translated.
My guess is that the calculator, already being so detail driven, does not go into the specifics of leakage.

Those are stunning birds!

Love this post...feel like I'm eavesdropping on the genetics conversations and soaking it in as much as I can :)

Back
Top Bottom