Perch width, what’s the science?

Pics
I haven’t seen studies specific to chicken perches, but there are a number that have been done over the years on cage birds.

All the ones I’ve read indicate a variety of shapes and sizes are best to exercise the feet and help prevent arthritic joints. The round perches that are sold with cages are ok as one option but should never be the only choice.

Debarked branches with variations in shape and size over their length are generally accepted as the “best” option, and it’s preferable to offer several made of different hardnesses as well. Moving a few inches to one side or another will then cause the feet to flex differently.

It’s probably more important to give options in wood type, size, and shape than to try to find one “best” perch.
I try to keep a variety in each coop and run. There are different sized branches, some 2x4s (edge and wide) and a stump. My grow-out run actually has a massive, twisted root in it that the youngsters play "King-of-the-Hill" on. Certain birds do show a preference for certain perches/roosts, but they ALL get used.
I guess chicken feet are not that much different from people's, really. Podiatrists recommend changing up our shoes and heels regularly to keep our feet healthier. It's probably no different for chickens - variety may well help keep their feet in better shape, too. It's pure speculation on my part, I know, but since all of the varied roosts get used, my biddies must agree!

How in the world did a 3 week old chick get 60' up???
Red Oak tree. Clambers up about 7 feet. Flies a similar distance and a little up to a branch it can clamber up some more. Then a series of much short flights closer to vertical to reach final destination. The tree I could climb an additional 40 feet higher and branches extended another 10 feet or so. Some Red Oaks can be easy to climb once you get up to where branches are located.

Back
Top Bottom