Perfume?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I had company over today. I didn't think I had to tell them to be mindful of the birds, but now I'm thinking different.

If I go somewhere and someone has animals, I am mindful of that.

My company today... decided to spray an abundance of perfume around my brooder! The smell of the perfume was thick enough to be unpleasant.

I replaced their food and water. The fumes have mostly gone.
Will my babies be okay?

It had been a while since I've had this particular friend over (years), and I didn't expect them to bring friends.
I stepped away to fill the bird feeders (for wild birds) and when I came back, they were horsing around like morons. One had gas and another was going crazy with perfume to cover his odor.

I'm admittedly embarrassed by their behavior and won't be having them back for quite some time.

We will eternally be left wondering what goes through some peoples' minds.
If no one is showing signs of respiratory distress, eye or nasal discharge then I think you should be ok. Perfume isn't something chickens in general would be exposed to in their normal lives, but you did the right thing by changing food and water so they don't ingest it.

Good luck!

We will eternally be left wondering what goes through some peoples' minds.
If no one is showing signs of respiratory distress, eye or nasal discharge then I think you should be ok. Perfume isn't something chickens in general would be exposed to in their normal lives, but you did the right thing by changing food and water so they don't ingest it.

Good luck!
Thank you. So far everyone seems okay. I'll keep a close eye on em.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom